Natural Egg Hatching

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
will they eat purslane?

Probably. They actually eat a lot that the other birds don't bother with. I don't think we actually have any here. How does it do with marshy ground for a few months in winter?

They've stripped all the grass seed heads. I bend it over for them as the stuff is about 4 foot tall. There are patches I cut down in spring that they eat the grass short. Winter killed most of my grapes and they love eating grape leaves.

I need to seed some dandelions out there. They ate them all.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Probably. They actually eat a lot that the other birds don't bother with. I don't think we actually have any here. How does it do with marshy ground for a few months in winter?

it will grow places that get rather wet, but it does need dry and heat enough to sprout. if you've had any success growing moss roses (actually you could try them too as they do have more colors) in your area then they will do just fine. soaking wet for too long will kill it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not natural hatching because I bought them for her today, but natural raising for me. Molly has been giving me the side eyed stare when I check on her the last week asking "where's my chicks?" She's very happy now, just too hot for them to be under her at moment.

She broke her leg late winter so I wasn't sure she'd ever go broody again.

20230813_171440.jpg

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
t
Not natural hatching because I bought them for her today, but natural raising for me. Molly has been giving me the side eyed stare when I check on her the last week asking "where's my chicks?" She's very happy now, just too hot for them to be under her at moment.

View attachment 24238

They look like brown leghorns or welsummers

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

View attachment 24238

cute little fuzzballs. :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coffees Ready, :caf
Last night at 8:50 I went out to close the coop door. The door has a big window on it covered with hard wire cloth so the coop keeps good air flow.
The nest I keep under the egg nesting boxes, I pick that up during the day. The chicks are like puppies that tear up their bedding lolo. So I was going to put the nest down for the mamma #3 and her 2 4 week old chicks BUT!!
Mamma was already up on the roost with the adult flock! boy, no roost training, no " sit here by me" just "DONE"
hahaha and I dont blame her, its hot who wants 2 chicks under you when its 90+ out.
Well as for the 2 chicks, they were up on the roost with the other 5, desperately trying to find a spot. I helped them nestle in next to the biggest pullet. One of the 4 week olds tried to get under the pullets wing hahahah, but in the end they all sat nicely. The 12 adults were taking up all but the last 2 to 3 feet of the 12 foot roost,, they all had wings out and trying to cool down.

All is well I think at 4:30am,,, I do hear rooster crowing at me already and some roost shuffling, not sure whats going on but,

I will have coffee an wait until there is a bit of sun light peeking up, they dont need to be up yet.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did spend time in the coop last evening. I swept the sand off the base board and sprayed
1692879282378.png

this clove/cinnamon based spray on the roost and all of the base boards, I crawled down and got under the nesting boxes swept. I dont have mites but this helps keep bugs away.
I did not dust down the walls, I'll do that next month when I do my yearly clean the coop day. The sand is great that it is clean and does not mold or have bugs but boy does it give out the dust.