Natural Mattress Pad "Freshener"??

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a very nice, fluffy mattress pad that I would like to hang out on the laundry line...just to freshen it up. Does anyone have a natural, homemade spray that would work for this purpose? I was thinking lemon juice/peel with water. What do you think or suggest? Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The need for freshening is because of bacteria or mites that thrive in the moist environment that is inevitable in bedding. The sunshine will take care of this quite nicely. Also, don't make the bed right away....flip the covers down so everything can air out for a bit before making the bed.

How about making a "tea" with dried lavender blossoms and use a sprayer that barely mists....you don't want to be adding much more moisture to the fabric. Lemon is nice but dissipates rather quickly.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
If you have a big hedge anywhere, they will hold the weight better than most laundry lines. Wait till the dew is off then lay it on top for a while. The lavender sounds good.

stevenwright

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You can use cloth conditioner along with cloth freshener in order to keep it clean and germ free. Trying lemon solution is not a bad idea, in case you are not finding those stuff in the market.

---------------------------

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Leaving the bedding off for a while to air before making the bed helps a ton. With the window open works best. We have two windows in our small bedroom. They aren't opposite but on adjoining walls. I get a good breeze across them. I have family that take mattresses outside to air once a month in summer. The sun does great things to kill bacteria and get rid of discoloration.

We always use a thick mattress pad on our bed that I wash each week. That also helps protect the bed.