Natural Remedy supply

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, I am working on a little bookshelf that will eventually hold jars of wonderful things. ( this is the working part of my herbal notebook to track remedies) I have made 3 pretty little tins of plantain salve. I have jars of raspberry, strawberry and blackberry leaves ( all do similar things I am experimenting on tastes now). I have a jar of corn silk for tea. I have green oat straw ( bought but plan on harvesting my own). Dried violet blooms for tea. My elderberry should produce enough for some syrup this year. I made tons of Pine Honey for coughs.

On top of that I will work on dandelion root, burdock root ( I was told I should keep some and use some to make a salve also, still researching that). I am working on more corn silk, peppermint and thyme for tea also. The chamomile is covered in bugs that will not come off. Very frustrated by that. Looks like I have to buy some and scrap this crop. I will use some DE next time to prevent and buggies. YUCK I was also thinking candied ginger might be good. My dad is older and gets upset stomach very easy. I thought ginger might be good for circulation and his tummy. We shall see. My mom has her St johns worth that she picks every year. That is about as far as she goes in harvesting herbals. Thats ok though, I am enjoying this new adventure.

I also stock up on homeopathic remedies that I buy online and use regularly. I would like to think that we are more self sufficient medically than before. I can take care of most minor stuff and we are healthier. The big stuff still scares me because honestly Kentucky is a bit shy on doctors anyway. If there is a shortage, we are so going to be in the worst shape.

What are you working on currently? What are remedies your family simply could not do without?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just recently dried some comfrey and horehound - specifically medicinal herbs - as well as catnip and rosemary, both of which are used medicinally as well as for cat toys or cooking.

On a side note (maybe I should start a new thread?), what do you treat with homeopathy, and what are your experiences with this?

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I actually have been treating perimenopause and adult onset asthma with homeopathic remedies and supplements. I treat sinus issues, brochitis, allergies and arthritis also. So a little bit of everything.

I am actually looking into horehound. I know that at times a doctor will be necessary but I feel if I can save that for only the major stuff then there is a measure of health care self sufficiency.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
3 Jars red Clover Blossoms
1 jar clover
1 jar strawberry leaves
1 jar blackberry leaves
1 jar violet blossoms ( more for my nerves than anything, tastes so soothing)
candied ginger
1 jar ginger/ lemon syrup ( was told this was great to put in your tea when you have become chilled)
1 jar corn silk
4 jars Pine Honey
3 canister plantain salve
1 quart jar of honeysuckle syrup

Working on dried mint, thyme, chamomile, burdock root
I have access now to a yellow root patch and ginsing patch but that will come a bit laters.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am just getting into herbals, thanks to this forum! I have loads of dandelions in the garden, so I let them grow. I have been picking the flowers and made jelly-YUMMY-and dried the petals for tea. I will dig roots this fall and dry them too. I have saved cornsilks and dried them. DH says the cornsilk tea helps his prostrate. I have a big rosemary bush too.

I bought a couple of books that teach how to make the different mixtures, tinctures, drying and storing the herbs.

I also use lots of ACV and honey, it's my go-to for colds, flu, sore throat, food poisoning and diarrhea.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ACV is a must. I have been doing a mini stockpile because for a while there I had to drive over an hour to find somewhere that had the stuff in stock. I won't run out again. For food poisening or even most tummy issues I turn to activated charcoal. I carry it with me and if i get desperate and have to eat away from home I take 2 just in case. I am so stinking sensitive to bacteria in meats. I only trust what I make myself because I know the source of my meat.

Oh and with the activated charcoal is you get a spider bite you can make a paste from it and it helps a TON. I usually ooze for a while but last time I put the paste on and went to bed. I healed up with no oozing and much faster than normal. ( basement and barn always end up with me and spider bites )

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot! I have a vial of bloodroot black salve for skin cancers. Eats 'em right off, draws up the roots, it falls out-GONE!

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am a little wary still on blacksalve but I am still studying. Lots of government and pharma sites that say its toxic and have supposed examples of where it was harmful. There are tons more that say it is helpful.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used it, my DH had a cancer under his eye above his cheek, it was the size of his thumbnail. This old man applied black salve to it and it killed the cancer, drew up the roots and a huge marble sized wad of grossness fell out of DH's face! We kept a bandaid on the wound, kept triple antibiotic ointment on it and it healed up with barely a scar. I have taken off cancers on my nose. I found a holistic healer through a friend and she got me the vial of bloodroot salve.

There is an old man locally that treats people with skin cancers. The stuff works. Yes it's caustic, but if properly used, it is better than burning off skin cancers (they come back because the roots are still there). Pharma hates anything they can't patent and government takes big pharma's side.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Of course they do. After all, they want us to be "safe". (I hope you can read the sarcasm in that.)