Natural Sunscreens?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What are some natural sunscreen ideas/recipes? Id especially like to find some that are natural to my area (Northwest NM). I and my family are very fair skinned and must wear sunscreen every day, we don't tan but maybe a tiny, tiny bit. We wear long sleeved shirts and hats, and of course sunscreen, but I'm thinking ahead to a time when store bought sunscreen wont be available.

SkyM

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You may not believe it, but you can use coconut oil as a sunscreen. You should use Virgin Coconut Oil only.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some of the people here believe that if you take fermented cod liver oil daily, you can throw the sunscreen away.

and welcome, SkyM!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't use chemical sunscreen products, we wear hats and cover up with clothing. Our two kids, now aged 17 and 15, are outdoors all the time year round, and have never had a sunburn or even much of a tan in their entire lives. YMMV :)

That said, the bark of the Trembling Aspen tree (don't know if that's local to you or not, we have tons of them here) gets a dusty/powdery substance on it in the spring and summer months, and the local native peoples used it as sunscreen historically.

And I've read that Vitamin D, which your body produces when skin is exposed to sunlight, helps a lot as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We don't ever use sunscreen either...just cover up when necessary or let the sun shine in with small exposures until our skin is conditioned to it and no longer burns. Sun is good for you in moderation, so just use moderation if you can't get sunscreen.