Need advice..please about Nubian goat, with kid

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know about the teat issue, but the one problem I see is that 3 pounds of milk is much lower than I would expect from a Nubian. But she is a first freshener, so maybe it would get better after she kids again. And it doesn't say if the kid is nursing along with her being milked. (A gallon is roughly 8 pounds.)
But for that price for the pair, it may be a good deal.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Java..I was thinking...maybe the little one is still nursing. Seems like a great price... ?? :idunno

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL, I just edited to day that :D You would want to find out her temperament on the milkstand too.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about her sloping back (sloping down towards shoulders) but maybe it's just a bad picture. Also, the doe herself is only a year old, so her production could definitely increase with more lactations. I think it's a pretty good deal for family milk goats! And the kid is just adorable.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought that about her back too, but could be the picture. It would probably be fine to take a chance on her - at least the owner is honest about why they are selling.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The double teat will make it harder to milk i'd think. If she's still nursing that is about the ammount my doe also a first freshener Nubian was giving, but with two kids nursing. Though that doe there was bred awfully young which is another issue. She was bred at 7 months old...IMO that is too young and stunts their development, so you may have more issues down the line stemming from that :hu I'd probably offer $175 for both IF you want both. You'll get less milk with "Deborah" around stealing it :lol: It's not a horrible deal either way though. Maybe they'd come down on the price a smidgen for you. The doe looks just like my girl :) and her kid is cute as a button. Cute just doesn't make her SS ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd pass. Actually, I did once! I wouldn't want to have to deal with that and you may have more trouble selling her kids, too. Plenty of goats out there with good teats.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
$200 is certainly a cheap price for the 2 goats. But you really have to think about if it would be easy to sell her offspring in the future. If you have a lot of homesteaders in your area that would love to have a cheap goat, then probably no problem. But if you have people that want to show 4H or don't want to see more than 2 teats, then you may want to pass. The males would definitely have to be wethered.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd pass also. Too many perfect teats out there. Don't bother with those doubles. Start with good stock, you breed yourself good stock, and you have no problems from day 1.

Latest posts