Need help for a Vomiting Dog. (Warning Gross) Update

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a toy poodle that ate a lot of sweet potato skins over Thanksgiving and has been vomiting them up since

Saturday. I didn't give them to her. She is also vomiting up water, dog food and an egg I gave her. It seems

she can't keep anything down right now except a little water. I think she needs to vomit up any sweet potato

skins she might still have in there. She is urinating some. I called the Vet and they told me not to give her

anything for 12 hours then give her a small amount of ground beef and rice. They say I can bring her in and

when I ask them what they would do, they say examine her, take blood tests and do x-rays. Now does this all

sound necessary? They said nothing about her possibly being dehydrated which is a concern. She is lethargic

and laying around sleeping a lot and not showing much interest in food. But she is alert and walking around

some. This has been going on since Saturday and I am not sure what I should do. My dh hasn't worked very

much this year so costs are a concern also.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dehydration is a serious concern, especially in an animal so small. If she is already dehydrated, and you give her nothing for 12 hours, then her kidneys may shut down, and that will kill her.

Look online and see whether sweet potato skins are toxic to dogs. Make sure you also check whether they might be if green (not sure if that applies to sweets, but can be an issue with many tubers).

If she can keep water down, I'd let her have small frequent amounts. Food, she can do without. Water, she can't.

If she can keep the water down for 12 hours, then you'd want to reintroduce something else - but not dogfood. Again, go online and see if you can find the dog equivalent to rice, bananas, toast. You want to introduce the simplest, most easily digestible food that you can, first, and in very small amounts.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't know about dogs, but the pediatrician told me when my son was vomiting like crazy to not give ANY liquids for 2 hrs. (I was massively worried about dehydration, but they said don't worry about it.) At the end of 2 hrs, give a SIP, and one sip only of pedialyte or watered down G-2. If that comes up, go 2 more hrs. It if stays down, in 15 minutes he could have TWO sips. Lather, rinse, repeat. The theory is to let the stomach totally rest. Yes, fluids are necessary, but to avoid hospitalization/giving a bag of fluids, this was the recommended method. And it worked. Had to go 4 hrs (2, 2 hr sets), but then he could keep down liquids. 12 hours does sound extreme, though.

And I think rice is the equivalent of bananas, toast for dogs. One of my friends dog had something where all she could eat for months was chicken and rice she had to cook.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry to hear your dog is so sick. I don't blame you for not wanting to do unneccessary tests that you can't afford. But are you sure it's from the sweet tater skins? I would think she would have gotten sick the same day or next day at the latest. But then to last for so long? I am not an expert here by any means, but would also think if it was something she ate it should have left her system by now. So I ask again...are ya sure it's the tater skins from Thursday??? Maybe it is, if swt tater skins are 'poisonous' to dogs systems...I don't know :hu
Only you know how your dog is and what is normal for her. If you feel that she's not getting any better, maybe a trip to the vet is the answer. Just let them know up front that you can't afford a bunch of unneccessary tests, but do want a professional opinion. They may be able to offer you a payment plan or something...if, if, IF it's really that serious. :hide you may need to provide a stool &/or vomit sample :sick

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think people gave their leftover sweet potato skins on Thur. and Fri. I didn't know they were toxic for dogs. It

appears nothing was digested at all. It is all coming up. She didn't eat anything since Sat. or Sun. except water

and eggs. Well she vomited one more time. More sweet potato skins. My dh yelled for me "She threw up

again". When I said "good" he looked at me like I had 2 heads. But it seems she is suddenly interested in

food. She is laying right by her dog bowl looking at us intently waiting for us to get the message. lol Hopefully

they are all out now! It has almost been 12 hours so I will give her a little bit of food soon.

I know avocados, chocolate, and grapes are toxic for dogs, and now sweet potatoes.

I wonder if there is anything else?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sweet potatos themselves aren't, just the skins are. If she's starting to look longingly at her dish she will probably be okay :>)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chicken and rice, no salt or seasonings added, is what my vet has me feed my dogs when they have stomach issues. If she throws up after drinking, try giving her ice cubes or crushed ice.

the short list of foods poisonous to dogs:
onions, chocolate, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, potato peelings/ green potatoes/ green parts of tomatoes, yeast dough, caffeine, alcohol, persimmons, "sugar free" foods containing Xylitol (artificial sweetener)

I had a runin with xylitol - the pharmacy added it for flavoring to my dog's pain meds!!! :th Fortunately I have an amazing vet and they caught on before any real damage was done.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would definately start her on some cooked rice...maybe with chicken broth. Just to flavor it, and no more than 1/2 a cup for starters. Once she can keep this down...after a few hours, offer her a little more. I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Latest posts