Need help picking an LGD for our needs

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
So, we are hoping that DH will get a Slope job, as we are in need of the financial boost.
The shortest rotations are 2 weeks on and off.
Some are for as long as 3 months, but that is not something we would go for.

We own one acre, have 5 goats, turkeys and lots of chickens.
By the end of the summer, we will be fully fenced in with a super strong fence.
I have plans to have the main gardens lightly fenced in as well.

If DH does get an away job, I want to have a dog. Sort of big, LGD, but without the requirement to be constantly working.
It will need to be a young pup when we get it, as our cats view dogs as pure evil,and have actually beat up two large neighbor dogs already :rolleyes: They even hate our adult goats, but the baby is ok :lol:
And the poultry are there friends :)

Budget will be an issue, so we are not needing a fancy pants papered dog either.
And, I am not a dog person, per say. Had several bad experiences in the past.

Suggestions as to what to look for?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for an all aroung farm dog, mabe a rotty or a german shepard...
for a more livestock guardian type thats also a good 'family" dog, ive heard the best things about pyr and maremmas for that not 100% livestock but not a papmeperd pet type lfestyle...

ive seen alot of pyr and pyr mi puppies going cheap and a pyr would definatly do find in your climate :) the pyranese ive been around are also very good with their packs HUMAN children too.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
for an all aroung farm dog, mabe a rotty or a german shepard...
for a more livestock guardian type thats also a good 'family" dog, ive heard the best things about pyr and maremmas for that not 100% livestock but not a papmeperd pet type lfestyle...

ive seen alot of pyr and pyr mi puppies going cheap and a pyr would definatly do find in your climate :) the pyranese ive been around are also very good with their packs HUMAN children too.
No rottys, period, or anything like them.
I do have the baby to think about as well.
I have met a maremma and really liked it, but they are spendy!
I have a hard time wrapping my head around paying nearly $1,000 on a dog.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Check out breed rescue groups for dog breeds you are interested in. We got 3 out of 4 St. Bernards from a St. Bernard rescue group...been pleased as punch with each and every one of them, even though they came to us as young adults. (The fourth came to us from an adoptive situation...his owners had to move...we don't buy dogs.)

Our current female St. is our LGD, and she makes a darn fine one, keeping even crows out of the yard. Our current male St. is the watch dog. He has a deep menacing bark and he doesn't care for strange people on the property.

After hours, both turn into cuddly bean bag chairs for my daughter and her friends. :p Dual purpose.

Hope you find what you need!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Be forewarned that sometimes shelter or rescue dogs come with baggage. If your not a real dog person that KNOWS how to deal with some issues, then I'd stick with a pup. Another FYI is to be aware of back yard breeders. Sometimes their breeding practices, amplify certain traits, some of them not good.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Be forewarned that sometimes shelter or rescue dogs come with baggage. If your not a real dog person that KNOWS how to deal with some issues, then I'd stick with a pup. Another FYI is to be aware of back yard breeders. Sometimes their breeding practices, amplify certain traits, some of them not good.
It has to be a puppy for sure. The cats would try and kill anything older. And I am not exaggerating.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I think you might be surprised at the number of under-1-year-old puppies are being held by shelters and rescues these days. It is a sad thing....

Any dog that you get will need good training. Breeding will always tell. I recommend doing lots of research.

My vote would be for Great Pyrenees as they are very gentle around their people but can be fierce guardians. We never lost an animal to predators, including hawks. Great Pyrs *DO* need to know their boundaries, or they will be guarding the everything they can see. Fencing helps in this regard.

Good luck!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a GP/St. Bernard mix. What a lover girl!!!! She was HUGE but never bothered the other animals, got along great with the horses and the cat, and liked to spoil people babies. She recently passed due to old age.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
A friend of mine had a GP/St. Bernard mix. What a lover girl!!!! She was HUGE but never bothered the other animals, got along great with the horses and the cat, and liked to spoil people babies. She recently passed due to old age.
I do like St. Bernards. Feeding them would be a challenge though.
That is another reason I want a little pup at the start. A raw diet would be my first choice. Taste of the Wild for a large dog would bankrupt us, but we can always harvest plenty of fish and red meat off the land.

Oh, and DH is an animal whisperer. Very alpha, and even the mean ones respect him.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Taste of the Wild for a large dog would bankrupt us
No kidding! It's bad enough feeding that and wet grain-free food to three cats. I can't imagine feeding a pony-sized dog! LOL

So what you really need is a smaller dog with a big dog attitude.

Welsh Corgi???

Latest posts