Need Help with Lotion Portions

growinupinfl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Christal and I'm new to making lotions but I really need some help. I can make a general basic lotion, but I need a very special concotion.. My husband suffers dyshydrosis, sever eczema, on his entire foot is soo dry that it cracks. He scratched his foot this morning and the floor had a pile of dry skin on it! We have done prescriptions, steroids etc... I am hoping maybe something non chemical will help on some level.

I have here at my house

emulsion wax

johoba

All the following unrefined..
beeswax
grapeseed oil
coconut oil
coca butter
shea butter
aloe butter

For exfoilants I have
dead sea salt
steel oats

and almost any essential oil you can imagine. What portions should I mix in order to make a salve that could help?

Thanks Christal

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use shea and jojoba together. No specific amounts..just warm up the shea a bit and then blend in jojoba until it is the thickness I want.

Now..as for hubby's ongoing skin issues. Has he had his vitamin D levels checked? How is his diet? Often it is more what we put INSIDE our bodies than what we do or don't put OUTSIDE our bodies.

growinupinfl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah we discussed that, he said something about unless it is hops, or barley do not expect it. Considering he doesn't even drink that much.. I'm thinking no.. But he has recently started taking a v-m Buried Treasures, a D3 5000 a day. I am hoping he will develop at least a new layer of skin. He soaked his foot tonight in one of those bubble foot massage things, with sea salt. He sloughed a LOT of dead skin, he thinks it is not that bad right now, but he is down to the dermis in parts.. hmmm..

So after we exfoliated his foot I treated it with a dropper full of rose hip, and evening primrose oil, with 10 drops of tea tree, 10 lavender in a .5 oz bottle. Rubbed that in, he said that made the sever itching go away. I made a heavy cream with the shea, for the water I used half green tea infused witch hazel, half distilled water, the oil I used is more evening primrose, rose hip, macadamian nut, and a olive oil.
After his foot almost instantly drank in the straight oil I applied the cream. He said for the first time in a few weeks it is not itching or burning.. YEAH, maybe he will do something drastic like regrow a layer of skin.

Christal

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for a body cream??? I have EXTREMELY dry skin and want to try and make my own lotion/body cream instead of buying it. I just want something that works for once. I dont care how Greasey it is either. if i stick to the bed sheets, i guess ill have to wash them more then!!!:)
Any suggestions?? By the way, ive not made any cream at all yet. Just some laudry detergent and Dishwasher detergent. Still getting into this whole "DIY" stuff. Thank you, Rach

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
almost anything will work, actually. The reason most commercial lotions aren't that good is that people didn't like the greasy feeling, so they add stuff like alcohol to cut the grease--- sort of self-defeating. I get really bad cracks in my heels if I wear sandals too often-- I've used everything from coconut oil to Vick's VapoRub and didn't notice a lot of differences in how it worked. As long as you have a coating of some kind of oil to prevent the moisture being sucked out of the skin.