Need help with making ribs

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought a couple of racks of pork ribs and then found out my kids can't eat tomatoes, vinegar, anything with preservatives, etc (Feingold diet). They are also gluten free, egg free and casien free. Do you have any ideas how I can fix ribs that aren't taste free?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our favorite marinade for ribs is, onion pureed,garlic,lemon juice,pepper and soy sauce all blended together. marinade for at least 2 hours. Feel free to mix it up and tweak it how you want.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hmm... there are lots of good rubs out there. My other half has a small smoker that he uses, which would be a great way to add flavor without adding actual additive.

You might want to check your library or amazon/ebay for some books on smoking. The "bible" of smoking that the other half's boss gave him is called Smoke & Spice, and would be worth digging into. The book is more than 1" thick, and has TONS of recipes!

Best of luck, let us know what you decide and how they came out!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'll be glad to taste test them for you. :drool :hide

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't even think about rubs. I guess I was only thinking about BBQ sauce. Thanks so much!! Off to plan...

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
I bought a couple of racks of pork ribs and then found out my kids can't eat tomatoes, vinegar, anything with preservatives, etc (Feingold diet). They are also gluten free, egg free and casien free. Do you have any ideas how I can fix ribs that aren't taste free?
Man I thought it was tough with a kid with preservative intolerances. Good luck!

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's not so bad once the shock wears off. :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
We have some AWESOME rubs, and combine that with smoking with apple or hickory and :drool

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
It's not so bad once the shock wears off. :lol:
But all that at once! Is there any food left on the list when you eliminate what they cant have! I remember how hard it was to find ANYTHING in the store my daughter could have I can't imagine the "no go" list you have. Oh well, thats what real cookbooks are for.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, we made the move a couple of years ago to unprocessed food so there is a ton of cooking going on. Breakfasts are either oatmeal or grits with either sausage or bacon and on the weekends they have cornbread pancakes. We end up making a bunch of substitutions. Lunch and dinner have a meat of some sort, vegetables and a starch.

I made a loaf of bread the other day that actually tasted good. They get chocolate cake every 2 weeks or so. We do a 235 mile round trip commute 3 days a week to get a non medicinal therapy to help cure their ADHD and Dyslexia. It is working beautifully but being on the road means that we also have to eat on the road. The kids can't have tree nuts or peanuts either, but we discovered SunButter made from sunflower seeds and it tastes great on rice cakes. Sometimes we take left overs. But we always have a cooler in the car with things to eat and drink. The learning curve was a steep one.