Need help with using pig to root up tree stumps

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to put the piggy, piggy to work and root up some small tree stumps. I've read that I can drill holes and put corn in the holes??? I have cracked corn, will this be ok? How do I drill these holes? In the side of the stumps, top? How big?

Thanks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I've not done this but I think I'd use a spike (san angelo bar) to make holes around the roots, in the dirt, and put corn in them. My pigs last year liked fermented whole corn. Put it in a bucket with water and leave it in a warm place until it is bubbly and smelly. Yum. :rolleyes: Moldy cheese would get them to root up a sequoia!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I've not done this but I think I'd use a spike (san angelo bar) to make holes around the roots, in the dirt, and put corn in them. My pigs last year liked fermented whole corn. Put it in a bucket with water and leave it in a warm place until it is bubbly and smelly. Yum. :rolleyes: Moldy cheese would get them to root up a sequoia!
Mmmm moldy, stinky cheese....if only I had some.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Soak the ground around the stump with old deep fryer grease. You can get it from most places for free that have deep fryers. I have even seen cows eat ald red rot stumps down below the ground when covered in the oil. I used to bait bears and what we did was to cover an old red rot stump with 5 gallons of old deep fryer grease and then throw a 50# bag of Ol' Roys dog food around it and cover with a little more oil. This brought the bears in and gave them something to eat if they ran out of dog food. On one of the bait stations the bears and ravens got all the dog food, but the cattle int he area wanted something in that oil and actually ate the stump down at least 8" below the ground.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my grandfather used his GOS pig (and rented her out) for this exact reason...

he would simply use a peice of rebar to make some holes in the ground as close to the sump as possible and will them with old fryer grease, fermented corn, realy smelly old cheese, even slightly curdled milk or just pour whey around the entire thing...her aboslute favorite though were applese burried aorund the trees, she LOVED apples!

this pig would root up trees for the sake of rooting up trees, but add some potential yumyness in the ground around the stumps you want gone and a tractor couldnt have done as good a job! she was a machine!, she loved to eat the roots too!

she even felled a couple of big live trees, my grandad warned the guy and told him to put electric strands a good 20ft away and around any trees he didnt want gone...
this guy insisted he knew better and pigs will only root up stumps...
she felled 3 huge live trees that he planned on keeping just because they had yummy roots!

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
my grandfather used his GOS pig (and rented her out) for this exact reason...

he would simply use a peice of rebar to make some holes in the ground as close to the sump as possible and will them with old fryer grease, fermented corn, realy smelly old cheese, even slightly curdled milk or just pour whey around the entire thing...her aboslute favorite though were applese burried aorund the trees, she LOVED apples!

this pig would root up trees for the sake of rooting up trees, but add some potential yumyness in the ground around the stumps you want gone and a tractor couldnt have done as good a job! she was a machine!, she loved to eat the roots too!

she even felled a couple of big live trees, my grandad warned the guy and told him to put electric strands a good 20ft away and around any trees he didnt want gone...
this guy insisted he knew better and pigs will only root up stumps...
she felled 3 huge live trees that he planned on keeping just because they had yummy roots!
:ep Wow! Live trees! That's crazy....good to know. The rebar trick is handy too.