Need ideas for a modification please!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, so, I'm getting quail again, and now I need to figure out how I'm going to convert an old Graco pack 'n' play into a quail cage. I'm going to say that it will be an indoor pen, but I may move it outside later. I was thinking about cutting the bottom fabric out and putting wire in the bottom, but that would be iffy. I then thought about using some type of fabric or plasticy material that was mesh-like, but then I would need to figure out how to support it so that it wasn't just drooping. I was also thinking about making a wood/cardboard liner and filling that with sand to scoop poop instead of letting it fall through. With that, I would have to figure out how to waterproof it. Any other ideas would be lovely!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hummmm....how far off the ground is the bottom?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe six inches? It has a weird bracing system that stems from the center of the pen that cannot be removed.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hummmmm....

If it was me, I would get some kind of tray bottom. I really do not like the birds on wire. I know people do it all the time, but quail have a natural instinct to scratch. Mine try and scratch the wire all the time and it is so pathetic. Fortunately I got them a chinchilla dusting hut so they can scratch in there. I also put a basket in their cage and they scratch on that.

The wire with a collection tray under it is not exactly odor-free either. I have a wooden pen I got free that needs work. I am going to set that up so it has a sand bottom and see if that is better.

Instead of a wood liner, use corrugated plastic card board. You know, the stuff they make real estate signs out of? It is already water proof. The only thing would be the side seams, but duct tape sticks really well to it. I imagine you might have to retape after a year or so, but that is very easy.

If you don't happen to have access to any, check with sign shops and see if they will sell you a blank or even a misprint. You can even check with the county or whoever does sign enforcement. They collect the ones placed illegally all the time. They may just give you a bunch.

Latest posts