Need ideas for watering animals in winter without breaking the bank

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hm. I was thinking a way to heat the water through solar heat. I know that many times heat can be magnified and trapped through use of mirrors and glass. Perhaps through some concave mirrors directed onto the livestock tank you could melt the ice?

If this works, it would have many downfalls. Number one, you would need the sun to be out and bright, cloudy snow days are a FAIL. This would probably look AWEFUL! Huge concave mirrors directed into livestock tanks. :lol:

My father in law created a solar heater through the use of an old truck camper shell and a sliding glass door. He created this metal box, which he painted the inside black. Then place the glass door over the top, when it reached a certain temperature, a fan would kick on and pump the air inside the house. It worked quite well, even though it was an eyesore and the mother in law had it removed. :lol:

Exploring the rest of the forum and I found a link to this site for solar ovens. Same idea, just larger scale. If it can cook food, it can de-ice water!

http://www.solarcooking.org/plans/

-Kim

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Take a look at this site.

http://www.barnworld.com/sa/c/Waterers_Feeders.htm

I have a 2 sided heated water system that is perfect for winter. It keeps water fresh and available out in the pasture. My horses and goats and all drink from it........it is pricey. I bought mine 15 years ago and installed it and paid like $250.....and worth every single penny over the years.

Now NC doesn't get nailed like you but in Jan/Feb when we freeze, I can neglect all the ice breaking and just let all the animals drink from the re-filling 2 sided horse waterer. I put it right near the barn in the pasture and all have access. Best stupid thing I ever bought in my life and uses very little elec. to heat and saves me tons of time and energy for the old body...HA HA

hope that might help

Latest posts