Need plans to construct an A-frame swingset

Fairacre

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a basic sturdy wood A-frame swingset with at least 3 swings for my boys for a long time. I have 5 4X4 posts that are 8' long and finally got some gift $$$ to buy the rest.
I plan to order some metal brackets from Lowes, the genuine ones designed for use with swingsets, but don't know if I need the triangular ones or the little L-shaped ones. Or both.
Also, I'm uncertain about how to connect it all together at the top.
And if I should use the 4X4 for the top bar, or use a couple of 2X6s on end & screwed together.
I guess a 2X4 can be used to make the cross bar for the A parts, but what is the best/safest angle?

I'd love to see photos of your projects, or get links to online plans to help. I want this to last for as long as my boys want to swing, and then be used for a chicken coop. Thank you for your help!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you are buying the special-purpose swingset brackets, I will bet you that the manufacturer has pamphlets or webpages with lots and lots of plans. Find them (ask at the store, and/or google the manufacturer to find their site) and then you can either build one of their exact plans, or just see how they're using the brackets and do your own custom design.

It's not really possible to say more than that, because all different bracket manufacturers have different designs of brackets meant to be used different ways. So without knowing what mfr's product you'r planning to use, we can't say anything intelligent :p

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts