Need some “good housekeeping” info

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used a good degreaser sprayed on oven at night, most all came of with wet rag next day. Burnt on always a job!!
Mean Green has worked well.

Quite by accident....found that mint leaves get rid of fruit flies. Lay a sprig onto the fruit/veg. It's great. Peppermint oil on a napkin works well, also. But we are able to grow mint.
I've "heard" snakes are not fond of it....plan to plant it all around chicken coops & runs next year!!

I keep peppermint essential oil on hand as mice do not like it. Using a syringe & small guage needle, I squirt a couple drops of it anywhere they want to enter or hide, behind stove & frig and into cabinet corners to keep insects out. Does help some with spiders I've noticed.

Bay leaves go into every bag of flour & does great in a cabinet also. Again, insects. Inexpensive to buy.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have menthol crystals I dissolve in oil and squirt into spots rodents like. They hate the smell of the stuff.

It's toxic if you eat it. Because super minute amounts are used in cough stuff, people think they can suck om the crystals and poison themselves. I marked poison all over the bag and warned hubby off of it.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for the flood of useful tested-in-the-real-world information. You've made this a worthwhile thread!
:thumbsup