Need some good venison recipes

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
My dad already has a red wine/maple syrup recipe so I would like a few more please :)
We are getting sausage, hamburger, steak, and stew meat.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ive never had sausage before :hu But otherwise we use venison just like beef. If your making steaks I would suggest marinading them with a tenderizer, I like garlic. With hamburger we mix it 50/50 with ground beef when we freeze it because it can be strong. other wise we use it the same. (Lucky! Im still waiting for some)

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Hopefulyl my brother gets one tonight then we will have a lot of venison :D

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also use venison in place of beef, all except hamburger. My family would honestly rather have it! This is an example of how I start off all my venison recipes....

I lay it out to thaw
Put in large bowl, smother in table salt and add cold water
Refridgerate overnight with this salt water to remove the blood
Take out and run water over it until no blood comes off

To cook you have to remember how lean it is so if you don't add some butter or oil, ( i even use a spoon full of bacon grease) your meat will be so dry.

I ALWAYS add an onion, this helps with the wild taste as well.

I make everything from a roast (crockpot is better) to homemade BBQ.

If you are interested, I'll post more!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When you make stew out of the venison, with potatoes, carrots, onion and peas. Replace the water with V8 juice. It makes the meat really tender. Simmer for 4-5 hours.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My roast venison is as follows: Place frozen roast, whole potatoes, sliced onions, water or tomato juice a bay leaf in crock pot. Put on high, come back 10m hours later and eat! Serve with vegetables of choice (I dont put other veggies in crock--don't like how they turn out)

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wow some excellent tips for venison roast. I'll have to keep a check on this thread.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Venison is a staple at my house. We do not eat beef. Ever. We also do not mix pork/grease with our deer meat.

Most of the time, the gamey taste that you get from deer comes from the fat. TRIM ALL FAT. ALL OF IT!!!!! DO NOT use neck meat from a buck deer during the rut, unless you really enjoy that gamey flavor. Ask for doe meat if you're sensitive to this flavor.

Here's one of my favorite deer recipes:
Deer and peppers:

1 deer roast
1 medium yellow onion, cut in chunks
2 or 3 red/yellow bell peppers, cut in chunks. One may be green.
1 clove garlic, minced
Black pepper
Dried ground mustard
1 beef boullion cube, or beef broth, or water, or tomato juice etc.
1 or 2 dried morel mushrooms, torn into bits (optional)
parsley, oregano
olive oil

Cut roast into large chunks if you wish, depending on how fast you want it to cook. Sprinkle meat with pepper and mustard, then thoroughly brown in oil. It's best to brown in the same pan you plan on cooking the roast in. As the meat is about done, add the onion, peppers, and garlic. Add about 1 or 2 cups liquid, with the boullion cube, mushroom bits, pinch or two of herbs. Liquid should not quite cover meat, as the meat will produce some juice of its own. So here's the improv part: Cook in a crock-pot, simmer on top of stove or bake in a covered dish in oven, or pressure cook. Meat should be tender. Thicken juice with cornstarch, flour, etc. Serve with steamed taters, polenta, egg noodles, etc. Salt to taste.

I made a giant pot of this for Christmas one year.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'll give you guys my favorite deer recipe, it's for barbeque.

Place whatever meat you like (roast, tenderloin, whatever) in a pressure cooker with the following:
1 onion chopped
1/4 cup of soy sauce
1-2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 stick of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 45 minutes--you can use frozen meat

While the meat is cooking mix together the following:
1 bottle of Kraft original barbeque sauce (just the plain, no fancy flavors)
1 bottle of Sauers barbeque sauce (if you can't find Sauers use your favorite vinegar based sauce)
1 can of Budweiser

When the meat is done place it in a baking dish and shred or pull to desired barbeque consistency. I also try to fish out some of the onion pieces if there is anything left of them. Pour the sauce over the meat to cover and refridgerate any leftover sauce. Bake in an oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes on 375 or until the top gets a little brown or the sauce thickens a little.

This is really good straight out of the oven but it is even better after it sits for a day or two and the sauce has a chance to soak in the meat. We have used this for several parties and church outings and got great response from everyone, even the "I don't like deer meat" people.

Hope you can try this...it's really good!

Lori