Need some help from the low carbers/LGI-ers...

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, this little piggy is going to market in June, and she wants to not have any pudge at all.
Yep, the beach wedding is June 19th. I have 65 days to drop 10-12 lbs.
Totally do-able. I have been watching my carbs a bit, but not too strictly. Now I'm getting serious.
Questions I have:
When watching my carbs (specifically when trying to get myself into ketosis), do I worry about overall calories?
Can I have dairy? I luuuuv milk, and it doesn't seem to have too much effect on my blood sugar, but should I say bye to it for awhile?
Any other tips appreciated!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Alright, this little piggy is going to market in June, and she wants to not have any pudge at all.
Yep, the beach wedding is June 19th. I have 65 days to drop 10-12 lbs.
Totally do-able. I have been watching my carbs a bit, but not too strictly. Now I'm getting serious.
Questions I have:
When watching my carbs (specifically when trying to get myself into ketosis), do I worry about overall calories?
Can I have dairy? I luuuuv milk, and it doesn't seem to have too much effect on my blood sugar, but should I say bye to it for awhile?
Any other tips appreciated!
I will let another answer the ketosis part.

I would say, go grain and potato free, and enjoy full fat dairy, including butter and cream, and you will be in perfect shape by your wedding day.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what I wanted to hear :p

I love my organic whole milk! Can't get raw around here, so I do the best I can.
Usually my breakfast is a glass of whole milk with a scoop of Aria powder (a low-glycemic protein that's yummy)
The frustrating part is that I'm already a health nut, I don't know where I can cut too many more corners :p

I am upping my water, I don't drink enough water.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
That's what I wanted to hear :p

I love my organic whole milk! Can't get raw around here, so I do the best I can.
Usually my breakfast is a glass of whole milk with a scoop of Aria powder (a low-glycemic protein that's yummy)
The frustrating part is that I'm already a health nut, I don't know where I can cut too many more corners :p

I am upping my water, I don't drink enough water.
Ummm, hate to break it to you, but powdered anything for a meal is not exactly nourishing.
If your powder contains soy especially, as that will slowly wreak havoc on your ability to reproduce.

How about 1/2 a banana, 2 egg yolks, and 1-2 cups of whole milk, plus a bit of cream or coconut oil blended together for breakfast?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The powder is more for taste than anything, to be perfectly honest :p

Sometimes I do eggs and turkey sausage, but most mornings I'm too busy. I used to just do the glass of milk, but I like my vanilla whey powder. It's quick and easy.

I like the stirring in an egg idea! Banana won't work because we're in a one-room cabin and the blender is a tad loud for dawn :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
The powder is more for taste than anything, to be perfectly honest :p

Sometimes I do eggs and turkey sausage, but most mornings I'm too busy. I used to just do the glass of milk, but I like my vanilla whey powder. It's quick and easy.

I like the stirring in an egg idea! Banana won't work because we're in a one-room cabin and the blender is a tad loud for dawn :lol:
take a look at this...
http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/01/30/avoid-soy-for-thyroid-health/
Oh, and if your bananas are frozen, just take out the amount you need for the morning, leave it on the counter, and it will be so soft, you will not need a blender.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
One thing that is helping me is to eat right when I wake up. I usually grab a handful of carrots and have a nice drink of milk. This is before breakfast btw.

Before bed I also have the same thing. You know, so your body wont go into "starvation mode".

Eat 12 1/2 cup servings of LGI veggies per day...that is 6 cups worth all together. Squish down the lettuce/spinach to remove the air if you are gonna measure it. :p Try to eat at least 1/2 of the veggie servings raw.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Graze, graze, graze on veggies all day long. Real veggies that is! Carrots, celery, snow peas, peppers, water chestnuts, cauliflower, maybe a couple of nuts. You know the routine.

I'm still doing the "feedbags" that were mentioned a while back :p

That & up your water & you should be good to go. I'd be leary of the powder too, but ya gotta do what you gotta do. A potato masher/ricer does a decent quiet job of squashing soft stuff like eggs & bananas. Then use a fork to "whirl" it into a drink.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish you peeps weren't all hating on my powder. I wuvs it!
Unfortunately, I think you're right :(

I'll pack together a feedbag for tomorrow. And I GUESS if you're going to MAKE ME, I will come up with a better breakfast...:p

Tonight there shall be low carb pancake, turkey sausage, and berries.