Need washable egg tote

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
While I have my egg customers return and re use egg cartons, I really do not like that they are not easy to clean much between uses.

I'd like to sew some sort of egg basket/bag that are both cute and washable, so that I could toss them in the washer between uses, and that they would be attractive for my customers to have in their homes. My egg customers are kind of high end and love the happy chicken theme so I was thinking of using fabric with hens or something ..............but I need a pattern for some sort of sachel.

Anyone have an idea where I could find one? Abifae? Anyone?

I'd like it to hold either a dozen or 18 and somewhat protect the eggs from knocking against one another. Any links or ideas would be appreciated.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Someone on here made tote with little pockets all around the inside.
Posted pics too...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. You could pad the bottom with a bit of quilting and make more dividers, and make it more shallow. Make some for a dozen eggs and maybe make a slightly smaller one that fits inside and on top of the bottom layer of eggs.

Or make a sort of liner/cover for the bottom of, say, a bleach or vinegar (gallon) bottle, to give it some substance and protect the eggs. Choose a bottle that you can get plenty of empties from people you know if your design ends up being popular.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Awesome! You guys ROCK!

That is even cuter than what I was picturing!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't read this, Abi, or your head might explode! :lol:

I think I figured out how to cover a cut bottle. I didn't try it yet, just worked it out in my head and by holding a scrap of fabric on a cup. If this makes sense:

Measure the bottle (cut the top off so you have a straight sided cup) from the bottom up, and the diameter of the bottom.

Cut two circles of fabric with seam allowance for the bottom.

Cut a rectangle of fabric with these measurements: Double the height of the side and add two seam allowances for one side of the rectangle, and add maybe three inches to the circumference for the other side of the rectangle.

You will be making a tube with the circles enclosing each end of the tube. The sides will overlap a bit to allow for snaps to be attached to close the tube when on the bottle and to remove it for washing. You will sew up from the bottom and top of the tube, then the middle of that seam will be open, like the fly on a pair of pants, and will close with snaps...or velcro...or whatever you wish.

Sew the top half with a slightly bigger seam allowance to make the top half of the tube slightly smaller. Trust me.

Now turn your tube right side out and insert the bottle. Work it in so it fits snuggly in the bottom of the tube, close the "fly," then push the extra fabric that makes up the smaller top of the tube into the inside of the bottle as a liner.

Now you can see where you might sew on handles and dividers for the eggs.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I've sent this right off to my mom, who is an expert expert seamstress and hasn't had much sewing to do lately. We've been talking about how to design something like this. She had an idea too of using the style from a jewelry caddy she has, it is like a circle you draw together and it has little pockets. It is too small though and we couldn't think of how to make a base or make it tough enough. I think your idea is awesome Free! I love that fabric they used in that thread as well, it has the kind of "country" kind of feel I was going for, maybe using gunney sac or muslin or red-and-white checkered material.

I'm thinking of embroidering or writing "Dizzy Dog Ranch" on them somehow as well, to help people remember where these bags belong!

I have five extremely regular customers I plan these for however, I'm tired of stacking and recycling these tacky used containers with their names marked on them with sharpie.

Thank you so much for your imput on this! That was exactly the kind of ideas I was looking for.