Need Well Water Experts

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today we looked at a house that has well water and when I got up close and smelled it, it had a strong iron metallic smell. I am sure the water hasn't been used much recently so I don't know if it is always like that or if it could get that way because of not being used. If it is always like that is it dangerous to use or drink or for animals? What could you possibly do about it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
First have it tested. Some things will dissipate if you leave the water in an open container for a bit....some things are very bad for you. It could also be the pipes. You may be looking at a lot of lead pipes with water sitting in them.

Just a guess, you really need to get it tested. Ask the seller if they have a current test available.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the house and everything is about 15 years old. The problem is we don't have time to test it. We need to put in a bid by tomorrow morning. We have been looking for 3 years and this is the first one that looks like it would work for us. I was wondering if flushing it through would help.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Make your bid contingent on getting a satisfactory report on the well and the well water, as well as the condition of the home.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
cjparker said:
Make your bid contingent on getting a satisfactory report on the well and the well water, as well as the condition of the home.
ITA!
Look inside the toilet tanks and see if it is covered with red, look at sinks and tubs, see if there is a red iron stain on everything. It is a never ending battle keeping all of those thing clean if it does have iron in it. Ask me how I know! It will make all of your clothes look dingy too!

Chickenkitty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds like iron water to me from description of the smell. It cooks the best pot of beans you've ever tasted. However, look at the sinks, commode, etc and see if there is an orange stain. If so, it's iron and will stain your clothes as well. It could be sulphur water, but that usuallyhas a smell like rotten eggs.
Home inspections are required in virginia and if the well water is part of that. Most folks will pour bleach down the well, runit for a few hours to clean the pipes so there aren't any "bad" critters show in the tests. But, as for iron or sulphur the wells will pass cause it's not dangerous to you.
Make the bid contingent upon well inspection.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't see a whole lot of rust. Maybe a little in one of the toilets. My dh spoke with his buddy that lives in the area and he said to flush it out and use a whole house filter. So maybe it won't be a big problem. I noticed they had a water softener in the basement. We have never used one of those. Do they help with iron in the water?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My last well had "clear water iron". It left scale and stains on all the fixtures, and if you boiled the water it turned red. A water softener took it all out. It isn't unhealthy for you- just ugly.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
When we bought our house, our Realtor said that a water test and a septic pump out was standard for rural houses. He was a rural Realtor as a specialty. Wasn't worth a you know what at selling our old house in the city. Knew his rural stuff though.

Our water is hard. The minerals collect on valves and stuff and make them leak. The pressure relied valve on my DW's All America canner wouldn't hold pressure the other day. I took it apart and the sealing ball had build up on it. Water taste great though.

I don't want a softener though. Can't stand how long it takes to wash soap off with soft water. I just want normal water

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Realtor told me we will have a test done as part of a contingency. Now we just need to be the ones to get it. There are 2 other people interested.

Latest posts