Nestle's Frost 'N' Bake Fudge Cake Recipe from 1954

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
My mom saved this recipe from a newspaper. It is dated 1954. My kids liked the cake, but I haven't made it in ages. I was going through some old recipes today and thought I'd post it. I can't get a clear picture of the clipping, or I'd post a pic of it with the recipe. So I'm writing up the recipe just like it is in the newspaper. :D :D

Nestle's Frost 'N' Bake Fudge Cake Recipe

AMAZING NEW WAY TO BAKE!
YOU FROST IT FIRST THEN YOU BAKE!

NESTLE"S FROST 'N' BAKE FUDGE CAKE
Nestle revoluntionizes cake-making with the cake you FROST BEFORE BAKING! It's amazing - you make the special rich fudgy frosting with the wonderful Nestle's Semi-Sweet Chocolate flavor - and pour it into a lined pan. Cover with cake mix batter (they won't run together) and bake.

When you turn it out, turn it over, and there's your FROST 'N' BAKE FUDGE CAKE - a brand new cake thrill! It's a Nestle exclusive - so get Nestle's Morsels in the yellow bag with the recipe.

FROST 'N' BAKE FUDGE CAKE
Here is a pic of the Good Housekeeping Guarantee Seal
Here is a pic of the decorated rectangular cake with pecan halves around the top edge of the cake

Melt over hot (not boiling) water
1 pkg (1 cup) Nestle's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels.

Add 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, 2 Tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Pour into baking dish 12" x 8" x 2" lined on bottom and sides (as illustrated), with double thicknesses of waxed paper each way.

Then prepare 17 or 20 oz. white or yellow cake mix by package directions. Pour gently over chocolate. Bake at temperature recommended on box until cake tests done (longer baking is needed.)

Invert cake onto rack. Lift off dish. Let stand 2 minutes. Peel off paper.

Decorate promptly with nuts. Let cool before serving.

There are 4 pictures above each numbered direction.
1. Pour Nestle's Frosting into lined pan.
2. Pour on cake mix batter evenly.
3 Bake as directed in recipe beow.
4. Invert, peel off paper, cool, decorate.

Latest posts