nettles as a cash crop

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi there Paul,
I enjoyed the video a lot -- especially as I have a lot of nettles in part of my garden here in the UK.........!! :lol:

I also loved your link to your article on sour-dough pancakes (what we over here in the UK call drop-scones). I laughed a lot at your description of the cement-like qualities of the starter as it dries. I remember that well from when I owned a restaurant that sold a lot of these pancakes......!! I sold stacks of them & it was always happening.......! :barnie

I am now working through your other links!
Thanks a lot for both the info & the entertainment. :frow

Hattie

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Fascinating video!
I think I will try planting my nettles close in the sunny areas as noted for height. They are popping up all over in my vineyard, so I have plenty to experiment with.
I was originally thinking of transplanting them to just inside my property line to discourage my idiot neighbor from wandering over. Let them reseed. Gee, they have so many uses, lol.

The fiber for cloth really interests me- I'd love to make a garment of nettle fiber, maybe knit or weave some dish cloths because of the water resistant properties.
Thanks for opening up a new world of possibilities!
:thumbsup

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
I enjoyed the video a lot -- especially as I have a lot of nettles in part of my garden here in the UK.........!! :lol:
And no you know that while most folks are trying to get rid of them, some folks are trying to nurture them!

Whever you see nettles, you can know that that soil is very rich and probably moist!

Hattie the Hen said:
I also loved your link to your article on sour-dough pancakes (what we over here in the UK call drop-scones). I laughed a lot at your description of the cement-like qualities of the starter as it dries. I remember that well from when I owned a restaurant that sold a lot of these pancakes......!! I sold stacks of them & it was always happening.......! :barnie

I am now working through your other links!
Thanks a lot for both the info & the entertainment. :frow
Wow! Most folks never discover my other stuff.

I have never heard of "drop scones" - excellent!

Sourdough pancakes are famous for feeding to the old time lumber jacks.

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Fascinating video!
I think I will try planting my nettles close in the sunny areas as noted for height. They are popping up all over in my vineyard, so I have plenty to experiment with.
I was originally thinking of transplanting them to just inside my property line to discourage my idiot neighbor from wandering over. Let them reseed. Gee, they have so many uses, lol.

The fiber for cloth really interests me- I'd love to make a garment of nettle fiber, maybe knit or weave some dish cloths because of the water resistant properties.
Thanks for opening up a new world of possibilities!
:thumbsup
I have eaten nettles in several dishes and I have to say that they are way better than spinach. Nettles apparently have a higher protein count than soy beans - I find that they fill that hamburger need quite well.

As for clothes: Apparently, somebody saw the video and linked to some stuff about that at permies .... http://www.permies.com/permaculture-forums/231_0/wildcrafting/eating-nettles-video-on-harvesting

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Mmmmm!! I have lots of nettle soup, especially in the Spring. Later in the year I cook fish (salmon & trout) on a bed of nettles on my BBQ, using Trimmings from my apple trees as the fuel. I also cook a whole leg or shoulder of lamb, speared with garlic & rosemary the same way with another pile of nettles on top to keep the joint moist. They keep the lamb from getting too burnt on the outside. Have you tried that Paul?

By the way I enjoyed your link through to your chicken thoughts. I love investigating peoples links -- it's amazing what you learn. I have spent my life doing research of one kind or another to do with my work as a theatrical designer. Now I have taken to doing it online as I have retired; I find there is so much more to learn.....!! :D

Hattie

paul wheaton

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit that I have shied away from lamb since an incident as a teen. But, a few years ago I was cured by some organic lamb. But no! I have not tried it that way.

I'm glad you like my article about chickens. As you can see, some folks liked it more than other! :)