Nevada?

jess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DesertChick said:
jess said:
I'm near Fallon, in Northern Nevada.
:frow I also live in "The Oasis of Nevada." Just wish some of the oasis was on my property-- it would make being SS so much easier! :lol:
Hi!

We have irrigation. It is lovely, except that I got eaten alive by mosquitoes this morning when I went to let the goats out!!

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh yes, we have mosquitoes here also. And those little biting gnats cause me severe itching that lasts for days.

Are you growing tomatoes and if so, are they producing yet? I have a greenhouse but it's been too hot and most of the blossoms drop off. My bush zucchini are finally beginning to produce. This is the 1st year that we've had the greenhouse and it's really been a learning curve. I discovered, by trial and error, that Miracle Gro potting soil is my best friend. It's really nice to finally have plants that don't get sandblasted! :lol:

jess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DesertChick said:
Are you growing tomatoes and if so, are they producing yet? I have a greenhouse but it's been too hot and most of the blossoms drop off. My bush zucchini are finally beginning to produce. This is the 1st year that we've had the greenhouse and it's really been a learning curve. I discovered, by trial and error, that Miracle Gro potting soil is my best friend. It's really nice to finally have plants that don't get sandblasted! :lol:
Our tomatoes have just barely started producing - we got a handful of tiny little barely red ones that probably shouldn't have been picked yet today. I'm going to guess another week until they really get there - I'm looking forward to making salsa and lettuce-bacon-avocado-tomato wraps.

Our zucchinis have been going like mad for about a month now. I never knew zucchini was so flexible. The other squashes are doing well, too, and so is the corn. The beans and cucumbers are so-so. We have a few little cantaloupes that aren't ready yet (and I'm hoping for more). We need to plant more lettuce now that we're past the hottest part of summer.

We need to work out a greenhouse - we moved here from Northern California a year ago, and it's strange having the growing season start so much later. We have some little row covers, and those definitely helped, but they aren't enough for anything large-scale.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We ran away from Sacramento 6 yrs ago and love it here!

So far, our greenhouse appears to mimic Sacramento's growing zone. I was going to attempt hoops but I didn't think they'd withstand our strong winds. In fact, Lattin Farms has had their hoops destroyed from some strong gusts. We decided on the Rion greenhouse kit because they supposedly can take up to 80 mph when properly anchored. A few months ago, 2 panels on the west side popped out but they were easy to pop back in. At least the house itself didn't end up in Utah! My DH is installing small cables across the panels on the inside so that if the panels get blasted again, they won't knock my plants over. I'm planning to grow kale, lettuce and broccoli this winter and not use heat. Currently I'm stocking up on potting soil to prepare for the spring planting season (probably late Feb or early March).

BTW Jess, could you use some eggs? My girls have been really busy and I'll have some extras by this weekend. Just let me know if you would like some. :)

jess

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
DesertChick said:

So far, our greenhouse appears to mimic Sacramento's growing zone. I was going to attempt hoops but I didn't think they'd withstand our strong winds. In fact, Lattin Farms has had their hoops destroyed from some strong gusts. We decided on the Rion greenhouse kit because they supposedly can take up to 80 mph when properly anchored. A few months ago, 2 panels on the west side popped out but they were easy to pop back in. At least the house itself didn't end up in Utah! My DH is installing small cables across the panels on the inside so that if the panels get blasted again, they won't knock my plants over. I'm planning to grow kale, lettuce and broccoli this winter and not use heat. Currently I'm stocking up on potting soil to prepare for the spring planting season (probably late Feb or early March).

BTW Jess, could you use some eggs? My girls have been really busy and I'll have some extras by this weekend. Just let me know if you would like some. :)
Oh, we could definitely use eggs - we go through a ton, and our chickens aren't producing yet (any time now... they hatched in early-mid May).

Do you want any veggies? Zucchini, pattypan squash, corn, and onions seem best at the moment.

We moved from Davis about a year ago. I miss it, but it is beautiful here, and so much more affordable.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
jess said:
DesertChick said:

Oh, we could definitely use eggs - we go through a ton, and our chickens aren't producing yet (any time now... they hatched in early-mid May).

Do you want any veggies? Zucchini, pattypan squash, corn, and onions seem best at the moment.

We moved from Davis about a year ago. I miss it, but it is beautiful here, and so much more affordable.
PM sent. :)

Latest posts