New Countryside is Here!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got my new Countryside today. :weee

The second article on the Greenhorn Series is in it. I can't wait to read it.

:clap

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You're easy to please....that is good..HA HA HA

love new mags!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I got mine too!! I share your enthusiasm! I am buying my niece and renewing mother's subscription for Christmas. I can't imagine a better gift, can you? I look forward to each new issue.

I just briefly scanned it and got the gist of a few articles people had written about how hard self-sufficiency and homesteading is. I think, coming from a city person's point of view, it probably IS pretty hard to give up all the conveniences and gagdets of every day life. :p

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I actually got mine on Monday, which is amazing that I beat anyone in receiving any magazine at all. I swear my post office takes delight in making sure every issue of every magazine is late :barnie

I've begun reading it from cover to cover! :thumbsup

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay - I guess it's time I broke down and subscribed to that. I've carrying the subscription post card around in my work bag for weeks now.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sort of feel like I got in trouble with them. I filled out the thing on their website for a free sample issue, which they sent. Then I got a bill in the mail. And I got the second issue a couple of days later.

So, now, I'm like OH SHOOT I guess I have to send them some money!

If I were going to buy magazines, that would be one. But I'm really not a magazine person. For me, they are a big waste of resources. I will be looking for that article, tho! :D

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know, Cassandra...this mag has saved me tons of money already with all the great ideas I've gleaned. Sort of like the old Mother mags. I consider a waste of resources something that I spend money on and never get any back! :p

I will say that the last few issues have been pretty disappointing overall. I definitely had no trouble putting it down and not referencing it again. I liked the format much better when they did their features on different kinds of livestock, different breeds, different methods of gardening, etc.

Now, it seems its all about city folks moving to the country and "homesteading" it. I mean...if you have enough money to buy land in Canada by a lake and have all your building material flown in on a plane, you don't really NEED to homestead, do you? You could just buy an established farm with existing structures and play at being a homesteader there!

I guess I'm just a little more in tune with people who build slow and actually choose this lifestyle because its part of their survival and getting to where they don't have to work pay check to pay check to live. Being wealthy and then choosing to do without is like building an outhouse behind a mansion...it doesn't make much sense.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I see your point bee. I read from cover to cover and I enjoy reading about other people and their experiences. But, they do need to get back to the basics.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think they do get back to basics. Yea, there's articles with some pretty well-heeled 'homesteaders' but there's just as many like you or me. I don't begrudge someone who has money yet wants to get away from it all and learn how to live off the land. Countryside has hardly gone Mother Earth, or Hobby Farm (talk about out of control money). They'll cycle through this and then go back to other stuff. I thought it was kinda of interesting that all of the mags did a couple of issues on baking bread.

My favorite has become Backwoods Home. Hands down. They are the magazine for those who want to be self sufficient.