New Graywater Question

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After looking around on the topic I've decided that it would be in my best interest to construct a sand filter tank and then run that into a reed pond. However, if I have standing water it will attract some very undesirable pests: mosquitoes. So I started thinking about my dream farm with it's many inhabitants and thought that ducks might be a good solution to the subsequent mosquito problem. But would the reed pond be safe for the ducks? Is the water clean enough by then to support ducks and/or Koi or other pond fish (another mosquito solution)? TIA.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know, but my goldfish from my water feature have survived all winter in my dog's heated water bucket....living in slobbers and occasional debris! :lol:

I think a few gold fish would not have any trouble in a reed pond and they would take care of mosquitoes.

Can you post pics when you do this? It should be very interesting to see a step by step.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
LOL, it's still in the "dream" stages. I still have to acquire the land so it could be quite some time before my dreams materialize.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Given what *ducks* do to water, I would honestly worry more the other way around... will the ducks overburden the reed pond system to the point where the water coming out of it is as bad or worse, bacteriologically, as when it came in.

(It depends on your particular setup, of course, but I suspect that in a lot of situations the answer unfortunately would be 'yes, as bad or worse')

Pat

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmmm, that's a good point. I wonder if there would be a way to reap the benefits of the ducks without them contaminating the water. Or maybe I should think about other beneficial animals like frogs and other fish.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You'll want the ducks for the entertainment value, and if you pick the right breed, the egg supply :D

Just put the ducks higher up the chain on the water system...like BEFORE the reeds.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
"reed pond" is the term often used for a plant-filled shallow pond meant as a stage in the biofiltration of ucky water.

Google for more information (I would post a good definitive link if I'd found one in the first page of returns but I didn't, but if you look at the situation-specific links you will get a good idea what it's all about)

Some sewage treatment plants use similar arrangements, only of course much more vast. Actually NATURE uses a similar arrangement only REALLY more vast :)

Pat

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
"reed pond" is the term often used for a plant-filled shallow pond meant as a stage in the biofiltration of ucky water.

Google for more information (I would post a good definitive link if I'd found one in the first page of returns but I didn't, but if you look at the situation-specific links you will get a good idea what it's all about)

Some sewage treatment plants use similar arrangements, only of course much more vast. Actually NATURE uses a similar arrangement only REALLY more vast :)

Pat
Thanks Pat
I found it under "reed bed". Google image has pics.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Instead of Ducks....you could build a Martin house and try to attract them instead. They would be free.... They LOVE mosquitoes and they wouldn't poop in your reed pond.
Bat houses would another option to help with the 'skeeters.