New House, New Energy

abigalerose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, so I haven't been on here in a long a time, and a LOT has changed (like everything), so here we go. I'm buying 5 acres with a 600 square foot (+ a loft) metal building on it. There's a well, septic, and power already. The building is not wired except the bathroom and there's no insulation yet. The inside of the building has the room part built for the bathroom, a spot for the toilet, and stairs in it. It also comes with (but not installed) a bathtub, sink, washer, hot water heater, and kitchen cabinets (and some other odds and ins), all new. The building has a concrete floor. I'll be finishing it to live in and would like to stay as off grid as possible to reduce bills and my carbon footprint. I want to do solar power, and the heating/cooling system where they bury pvc pipes and vent it into the house (not the kind that uses water), I'm going to dry my clothes on the clothes line, and make my own laundry detergent, plus some other self sufficient things like chickens, a garden, bee keeping, etc.
Anyways, Id like to talk with some of you about solar power and the heating/cooling.
I want to be completely solar powered, which I don't think will be too hard since it's a small house and I'll be the only one in it. I'll have a fridge, stove, microwave, air conditioner, pellet stove, hair dryer, lights, and then plugs for lamps and phone chargers and stuff, so I'm trying to figure out how many panels I need and what kind of battery bank and all that, and if there's any special way I should wire the house.
I'm also trying to learn about the pipe heating/cooling thing (and what it's even called? Because I think geothermal uses water and I don't wanna do that), I know it won't make it super hot or cold in there, which is why I will still have a small AC unit and a pellet stove.
So, any advice, thoughts, etc.?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't help you on the solar, but put a heat barrier film in the roof, insulate the roof and walls WELL. I am happy for you that you are reaching your goal!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome back! I wish I had answers for you! It sounds like an exciting adventure and I hope you'll share it with us along your way!