New to Solar Power

2 Beauts

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
How do I figure out how big of a solar panel I need to take care of a chicken coop. I want to be able to :

1) run a fan
2) power a motion sensor light
3) use a heat lamp as needed in winter
4) have an extra outlet for anything else I might think of

Also, I thought there was a certain direction it was better to have the panels face, but I can't find what it is.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
2 Beauts said:
How do I figure out how big of a solar panel I need to take care of a chicken coop. I want to be able to :

1) run a fan
2) power a motion sensor light
3) use a heat lamp as needed in winter
4) have an extra outlet for anything else I might think of

Also, I thought there was a certain direction it was better to have the panels face, but I can't find what it is.
South, at roughly the angle corresponding to your latitude, I believe.

I really do not know much about sizing solar-powered systems but am writing to point out that #3 on your list may be a dealbreaker. Heatlamps use VERY LARGE amounts of electricity. You would need to guesstimate how much you would want to use it in order to figure out system size, and you are going to need a substantially larger power base (like could be 2-3x as large!) as if you did not want to run a heat lamp. Which may not be worth it.

It is highly debatable whether a heatlamp is such a great idea anyhow. You could save considerable expense and aggravation by just putting extra effort into designing (or retrofitting) your coop so's not to *need* a heatlamp ;)

Good luck,

Pat

2 Beauts

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas! Mostly, I was trying to avoid running electric out to the coop. I'm 99% sure I won't need the heat lamp, but wanted the option incase I am wrong! :D If it gets to cold, I'll run an extension cord and buy more chickens in the spring! LOL.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
If you are running solar power into your coop to run heatlamps, fan, etc. wouldn't it be more expensive to install it than it would just to run it through your house?
just a thought.