new use for old mower

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I turned an old push mower into a chipper shredder for free. All i did is cut a hole in the deck above the blade welded a funnel shaped opening out of some old stud plates i had laying around, sharped the blade all the way to the bolt and let her rip. It does an awesome job and turns soft stuff like okra stalks and corn stalks into instant mulch.
i had to make a cover to keep the shredded junk from coming out the side.
251_dscf2183.jpg

251_dscf2182.jpg

251_dscf2180.jpg

it turned alot of okra stalks into this
251_dscf2181.jpg

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
What did you use to cut the deck? My mowers have heavy duty metal decks.

Reaction score
You gotta love a man and his trusty welder. That's really cool.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i cut the deck with a right angle grinder with a thin metal cutting blade. i did this on a rainy day on a whim. it really does a great job. i do however need to install a piece of tire or stiff robber in the funnel to keep debris from coming back out, but if i feed stalks while standing behind it like you are mowing i didnt get anything on me.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I like it and will remember for future inventions.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THAT IS FREAKIN' A W E S O M E !!!!!!! :celebrate
Most of those chipper/shredders are too expensive and have a big pricetag. You can get a cheap little 22 inch mower for a song this time of year, and they come with that powerful little Briggs & Stratton engine, too. I have an old chipper/shredder taking up a corner of my machine shed that shreds...newspaper,well, maybe? Wish you lived closer. I have an old mower that needs a new job. RATS!!! :rant

boggybranch

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yep....gonna have to commit that idea to memory. Beats the heck out of "push, pull, push, pull, push, pull, repeat."

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the good thing about it is most people dont know how to repair lawn mowers and will give them away when they can usually be fixed cheaply, my dad got one the other day for free because the handle was missing a bolt, can you believe it.....a BOLT :barnie . most of the time its a spark plug, trashy carbs, fly wheel key or something simple. the chipper idea came about from a rainy day, seeing a pile of slowly decaying okra stalks and then seeing a old rarely used mower. it was easy to do and fun to build. i forgot to mention im building an angle iron rack to sit it on to elevate it and to allow the debris to go into a washtub to be able to put it into the garden or into another compost bin.

Latest posts