New use for plastic bags

Better Half

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yesterday at a baby shower a woman had this bag she crotched out of plastic grocery store bags. I had never seen one before and thought it was the neatest idea. I was thoroughly impressed, my DH wasn't, his mom used to make them. The woman said she would email me instructions. I've go to make me one.

bag.jpg

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My moms church womens group takes our outer milk bags and crochets them into mats that they send to third world countries. I save all my milk bags for them. Similar ideas!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is sooo cool. I know how to knit but not how to crotche. (spelling??) I will look online to see if I can find a knit pattern like this. In the mean time if someone finds one let me know!! I love this bag and think it would be great for many things!!

I found one!! Go to the link above and scroll down there is a section there called knit patterns or something like that. I will continue to look for other patterns as well. I can't wait to start one of these!!

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm a man and I think it's neat! We need a use for those plastic bag things. Thanks for sharing!

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:cool: Soo Cool you brought this up Better half... :clap
I had just started gathering up bread wrappers this last week.
I got to remembering my Grandma Wise would crochet them together and make place mats and door mats for dirty or wet shoes.
But for the life of me I couldn't remember, :hu how she would cut going all around the bag to make one long strand. :idunno
And she also made a little bowl type coasters for her african violets. :bouquet
That was in the late 60's,(opps) :old
Sure wish I had some pictures.
But I checked out some of the links that was posted in this thread Great info,,,, :caf
Makes things so nuestalgick (sp?) for me :old
New for a bunch of you young bunnies huh? :bun
So hey kids, if this old timer gets enough bread wrappers I will start crocheting some mats. If I get confundent enough I may even try a tote too :woot
Let's see how it goes...