Newbie from North Oregon

joyfulhearts2004

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello. I live in North Oregon and have 5 1/2 acres that were neglected for 15 to 20 years.
I have spent the last 5 years clearing brush, scotch broom and bracken fern, building an a fully fenced garden of raised beds and planting an orchard. I am currently rebuilding the woodshed, finishing the install of an small irrigation system for the orchard and Hugelkultur squash bed.
The rest of the plan is to raise chickens, rabbits and Scottish Highland cattle. I have a vision of growing and using sprouted barley as forage along with pasture and supplemental hay.
I have no desire or time to reinvent the wheel, so am looking forward to learning a lot from all of your experiences.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning and WELCOME, from Texas!

Sounds like you've been busy, busy, busy! What are you planting in your orchard? I'm south of Houston, have goats, chickens, horses, a couple LGD's and an English Shepherd. Lots of nice folks around here. Glad to have you! :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from New Hampshire! I live Scottish highland cattle! I don't raise rabbits or cattle but I have chickens and plenty of other critters.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. You've come to a good & helpful group.

Lot of knowledge abounds amongst the members, not always farming either but, many related subjects. Jump in & participate. Oh, yes, we love pictures!!

joyfulhearts2004

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good morning and WELCOME, from Texas!

Sounds like you've been busy, busy, busy! What are you planting in your orchard? I'm south of Houston, have goats, chickens, horses, a couple LGD's and an English Shepherd. Lots of nice folks around here. Glad to have you! :)

Thank you for the warm welcome.
So far, 11 varieties of apples, 3 varieties of mulberries, 3 varieties of plums, 2 fig trees. I'm currently waiting on several filbert trees. I also have grapes (new this year), blue berries, goose berries, strawberries, raspberries and asparagus. Then of course there is the annual veggie garden too.
Funny how sometimes it feels like I haven't accomplished much in the last 5 years, but when I start to list things I feel a little better about it all. Thank you.
I haven't acquired any animals yet because of putting most of my time, money and energy into rehabing a completely unusable pasture. ( bracken fern and scotch broom)
I still try to make sure I have plenty of time with my grandchildren and for getting my beautiful Lacey ( 2011 Dyna WideGlide Harley) out on the road.:D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What part of East Texas are you in? I'm from Marshall/Karnack. I really miss home.
We are north of Tyler on 8 acres. We moved here from Livingston 1 1/2 years ago and really piled into getting things done. There was nothing here but a repo doublewide that I redid the inside of. We have been working on fence, 2"x4" non climb horse wire and yes, it is expensive and yes, it is a pain to put up, and YES it keeps our animals in and others out! I can identify with your journey to farming. Do you still have family here and do you ever come to visit? If you do, we are just down I-20 from Marshall!

Latest posts