Newbie from the North :)

WildWyandott110

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm a chicken-raiser from eastern Canada. I enjoy gardening (30ft x 60ft), canning, and trying to be self-sufficent (eventually!)
I've got 13 and a half acres of goodness and laughter, with plenty of woodland and swamp, as well as a solar array.
I don't know much, but I'm here and eager to learn!
(BYC: WildWyandott110)
(BYH: Coming Soon!)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS :frow Great to have you here! I love how you describe your homestead, "goodness and laughter" :) It sounds like a wonderful, happy place.

Do you keep any livestock, garden, etc? There are so much to learn here! We love teaching and sharing, so feel free to jump in with any questions you have and/or join our old and new discussions.

WildWyandott110

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! I have 16 chickens, and had two sheep at one time. I have a large garden witch currently has asparagus, garlic, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries in it. I also have a tiny hydroponics system that grows lettuce currently. I want to expand to aquaponics, but that's for the spring.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks! I have 16 chickens, and had two sheep at one time. I have a large garden witch currently has asparagus, garlic, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries in it. I also have a tiny hydroponics system that grows lettuce currently. I want to expand to aquaponics, but that's for the spring.
I'd love to hear more about your hydroponics system?

WildWyandott110

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd love to hear more about your hydroponics system?
Well, it's two PVC posts, capped and caulked at each end with holes drilled in the top for the plants. The water is drained out at the ends of the posts into a storage bin, where it's oxygenated and filtered, then it's pumped back into the system. The plants themselves are in net baskets. They're grown in rock wool and clay pebbles. I have to check the PH and PPM weekly and adjust as necessary, but other than that, it's pretty low-maintenance.
Hi there, and welcome from Texas! Glad you came aboard!
Thanks a lot! Great to be here!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! This is a great site, lots of information and nice people that are always glad to help.

WildWyandott110

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! This is a great site, lots of information and nice people that are always glad to help.
Thanks! I've already met a LOT of really helpful, kind people! I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the community!