Next years self sufficiency project

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great project for next year.

How many are you going to raise?
Are you doing this for your own freezer or are you selling them?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm going to do meat birds again this year, they are tons of work! But I tell ya, you just can't beat it when you eat it!! :lol:

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Great project for next year.

How many are you going to raise?
Are you doing this for your own freezer or are you selling them?
I think for our own freezer so 25 probably, maybe 50 if my friend want's to do it to.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
pioneergirl said:
Not sure if I'm going to do meat birds again this year, they are tons of work! But I tell ya, you just can't beat it when you eat it!! :lol:
Thanks for the advice.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ticks said:
pioneergirl said:
Thanks for the advice.
Ipersonally didn't find it alot of work--this was my first time too. And at 8 weeks, my birds were bigger than what they say. Mine dressed out at about 8lbs. whish equals two meals and soup for a family of 4.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey ticks
that is great---25 for the freezer. they are delish! Your friend can't go wrong doing 25 for himself either!

They are work like anything..LOL...but in the end you get good food.

When I raised 100 meat birds the most thing I read about them was don't feed too fast cause they grow huge fast and develop leg problems from their increased weight at a young age.....so I raised my birds slower for myself instead of throwing the food to them and get them big and fast for sale to the market.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hey ticks
that is great---25 for the freezer. they are delish! Your friend can't go wrong doing 25 for himself either!

They are work like anything..LOL...but in the end you get good food.

When I raised 100 meat birds the most thing I read about them was don't feed too fast cause they grow huge fast and develop leg problems from their increased weight at a young age.....so I raised my birds slower for myself instead of throwing the food to them and get them big and fast for sale to the market.
thanks, What "method" did you use for your birds?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:
pioneergirl said:
Thanks for the advice.
Ipersonally didn't find it alot of work--this was my first time too. And at 8 weeks, my birds were bigger than what they say. Mine dressed out at about 8lbs. whish equals two meals and soup for a family of 4.
I heard that if you let them get a little older, they can dress out a 12 pounds :ep