Nipple waterers?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just need a spot of help. I want to get some of the nipple waterers and set up two 5g buckets for water for the beasts. My only thing is... do you only need the little screw in nipple piece or do you need other stuff too? Do you just drill a hole and screw that in, or do you need to have like a bolt or something for inside? Any help would be much appreciated!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They just screw in and the instructions will tell you what size of drill bit to use. I also supplemented their fit with some clear, water proof caulk. Worked like a dream...you're going to love them!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's something that I have started to use in the chicken coop and the rabbit hutches. I use three in the bottom of each 5 gal. bucket.

PUSH-IN WATERING NIPPLES

I have never had one to leak and they're very easy to install or replace. In the winter I just drop a heater in each bucket and I have no freeze-up problems. I wish they made bigger ones for goats and sheep.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you guys! I can't wait to order some nipples. The chooks wouldn't be bad, but the stupid ducks slop everything out, so I have to rinse and refill several times per day, and through the night, they go without because nothing will stop the ducks so far. Hate those ducks!!! With the garden fenced in and the nipples in a 5g bucket, I think I'll be able to enjoy my birds more than them being the chore that they are right now.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ebay has the cheapest price for a pack of 5...last time I looked they were around $3.64 and free shipping. And they call them duck nipples, so could be your ducks will use them quite well, huh?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's where I was looking! I can actually afford that! Lol. The ducks should be fine with it. I've used regular rabbit type water bottles for them before (not this group, but another group of ducks) and they did fine. It might take them a little bit longer than the other birds to figure out, but I imagine it won't take too long for them to investigate when they see everyone else. As it is, I can get a mob going if one bird thinks I have something, because everyone else hears the one bird and comes running to investigate, lol.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
perfect timing for this thread, im thining of doing nipple waterers for the guineas...anyone used them with guinea fowl?!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:caf

I just ordered mine! Waiting......................... :barnie