No bees but plenty of squash bugs

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Went out in the garden and I noticed one of the zuchinni plants died. I pulled it up nd found squash bugs on it and plenty of eggs. Then the hunt began. We searched every squash plant and every leaf on the butternut vines. We tilled a bucket with leaves that had eggs or baby squash bugs on them. Probably 1000 bugs and eggs took a nice dawn bath.

Got to looking at the cucumbers and we have about 200 flowers but not one cucumber. This time last year we had to shew the bees away so we could pick em. Nothing. Not a one. I haven't seen a been since early spring and it was just one. I spoke to some other people in the north Texas area and they haven't seen any bees either.

So I guess the bees are gone. I talked to a guy in Paris tx (about 2 hours away) and he said he will have some in Aug. I guess I'll be a beekeeper if I can get everything researched and a hive ready by then. Gotta do something. We gotta eat and this bee thing is gonna mean famine

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BYH has a bee forum. It would be a good place to ask questions and read past posts to study.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bummer... No bees that is not good. You could try and polinate by hand. Best to do early in the morning just after the dew lifts and before the flowers close up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah that is so sad. We'll be getting bees in the spring. My husband is the beekeeper of the family. I can ask him for advice if you have any particular questions. It's been a few years since he's had them but he and our older daughter are going to build hives this winter :)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We're also planning on adding bees. It was planned for this spring, but has been pushed off to next year. Our yard is COVERED with clover, but we rarely see bees. The neighbors to the west of us are always spraying the creek bed with poison, and the water then flows right through our front yard.. Ugh! But something is still pollinating things because apples, figs, pears, and berries are all growing

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Got to have bees. I haven't noticed any this year either. I used to keep them but they died out on me. Planning on getting some next spring.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're also planning on adding bees. It was planned for this spring, but has been pushed off to next year. Our yard is COVERED with clover, but we rarely see bees. The neighbors to the west of us are always spraying the creek bed with poison, and the water then flows right through our front yard.. Ugh! But something is still pollinating things because apples, figs, pears, and berries are all growing

Uggg... Some people are morons :(