Non-broody adopting 2-month old chicks? Now I've seen it all...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
My son has a sweet little hen, she's about 7 months old now… Started laying just a few weeks ago and hasn't shown much interest in going broody, though she is vicious when she's laying!

About a month ago, I took in a broody with 4 chicks. About a week ago, mom decided she had enough, the chicks are old enough to fend for themselves and they are doing great! They mingle well with the rest of the flock, everyone's mostly o.k. with having them around… Last night I closed them up and found them snuggled up with DS's little hen and thought that was too cute… This morning I tossed some treats for them and heard the unmistakeable broody cluck-cluck, come here, there is food! But we don't have a broody..? I fetched some more treats and tossed it out and watched. Who would be clucking and calling and mothering those chicks but my son's little hen? Mothering her sweet heart out on those youngsters :love I've been keeping chickens for about 10 years now and I have seen just about everything broody behaviour, but nothing like this! She is all over those chicks. Nevermind she wasn't broody, never mind they are about 2 months old and not hers, she's "mommy" now!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree...a keeper! Unfortunately, while she's "broody", she may stop laying. I've heard of that happening for other folks and their nonbroody hens suddenly wanting to mother older chicks. I've only ever had a broody minded bird do such a thing, never a new pullet.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is what is so strange about this, she hasn't shown interest in going broody until now? And the chicks are not that young any more, they are at an independent age. Needless to say they are loving this attention though!