Non-greasy lotion with Zinc Oxide

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I want to make a lotion for the summer thats light and non-greasy with some sun blocking properties in it. ANyone got a good recipe?? i have 2 recipies that are GREAT for my alligator skin in the winter, but are VERY greasy and oily. That just isnt going to fly in the summer when its 95 and humid!! But i still need lotion in the summer cuz my skin is still very dry,(just not nearly as bad as winter) so im wondering if anyone has a good recipe without all the oil products in it. Thanks!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you already make a lotion, then a summer lotion will be easy. You just need to pick some drier oils. Seasame seed oil (NOT toasted, find the clear stuff), sunflower oil and apricot kernel oil are all decent choices that I've found locally.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Dunno about the zinc oxide, but I recently got some info in one of my newsletters about sunscreens made with essential oils. Of course, the SPF isn't guaranteed, but it is probably worth something:

Sunscreen:

1 oz. Sesame Oil,
1/2 oz. Coconut Oil,
1/2 oz. Olive Oil,
10 drops Helichrysum,
5 drops Lavender,
3 drops Chamomile.

Again, I'll post the disclaimer that one MUST be sure you are using really high quality essential oils for this type of thing. If your oils aren't pure, and contain other ingredients, you could end up with a worse burn than you started with. (I am sure I am sounding like a broken record... but safety is important! Its always so important to read the bottles and labels and TRUST your source!)

Latest posts