Not so sure...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Interesting and sadly, not surprising.

Knowing that my husband would be getting a small paycheck today, I went thru my freezer and made a menu for about 2 weeks worth of meals using what I have on hand and filling in the gaps while I have the cash. I am usually a one week at a time girl, but I do have enough of general stockpile that if I HAD to squeeze out another week or so I could...probably longer if I could stand the grumbling from my family!

I agree that in general we all need to be forward thinking and assume that things are going to get tighter and more difficult before they get better....and we should prepare (as best we can) accordingly.

I also am a firm believer in the Peak Oil theory which drives me to have some basic supplies on hand and develop a more SS lifestyle. I personally do not have a doomer (end of the world) mindset but I do very firmly believe that we are in for a lot of change in the very near future, change that will drive more of us to become SS and rely less on the system.

Sorry for the rambling!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I definitely don't have doom and gloom attitude but I ain't stupid that the future is crappy definitely! LOL

I have about $2000 in cash for my farmers markets at all times in the house....that is enough for me to get by.

If banking stops, then all else stops, cashing checks etc. etc......so people can write checks to everyone and none would be cashed anyway......I don't see this happening. I don't see the banks closing for 1 or 2 weeks at all...just my opinion of course.

But I have money.

Now everyone getting $5K from the bank...heck that would be a run on the banks and that starts hysterics. And I bet home burglaries would be up that week also..HA HA

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
go to snopes.com it says it is false.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got this news from a professor of financial law who had "inside information," who said I'd better get some cash right now, because tomorrow everything was going to close. I was freaked out by it and almost went out and withdrew money... but then thought that was exactly the thing to do to CAUSE such a problem. And then, this was a week or so ago. So clearly, it did not happen. My wife had to talk sense into me, and say, "you know what would cause banks to fail? EVERYONE withdrawing money from ATMs around the country."

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Snopes says that it is *not* true that the banks recieved special "closed" signs. They also say it would be almost impossible to shut down the banking system because it would mean closing down ATM and credit cards and everything. Well, that doesn't ring true. I think with everything being electronic it would be easy enough to close it down.
BUT...Dh and I were talking, and what he says does make some sense...if the banks closed down no one would have money to get gas to get to work...it would cause panic, and it wouldn't be a good thing. The US might shut down completely and that leaves the rest of the world to be able to play with stocks and ruin the states completely...China would buy everything in the week the banks were closed here...I really don't know

But what I am thinking is this...people ARE indeed getting as much out of the banks right now as they can...alot of people are panicing and doing just that. The US might have to *ration* what you can take out of the bank for a while so that hopefully everything can balance out a little. I would still have *some* cash on hand and food in the pantry

Ellie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Still, I appreciate you posting this. It leads one to think about things even if they do not happen right now...

Thank you,
Ellie

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I think it's always a good idea to be prepared for an emergency, but I think this is just baseless rumormongering.

For one thing, as dumb as the gov't can sometimes be I absolutely cannot believe they would do something THIS dumb, as it would result in MASSIVE rioting, violence, and economic collapse across the whole country, with probably years-long repercussions. I realize the gov't is perfectly capable of shooting itself in the foot but only when it is looking at the other foot instead, not like *this* ;)

I find it interesting that there seems to be such *eagerness* to believe that the sky is truly falling, rather than just hanging in there and seeing what happens and preparing to make the best of it. I think the US populace has, for the most part, watched a lot too much TV and forgotten that most things in life are *not* an exciting 2-part telemovie ;)

JMO,

Pat

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I find it interesting that there seems to be such *eagerness* to believe that the sky is truly falling, rather than just hanging in there and seeing what happens and preparing to make the best of it. I think the US populace has, for the most part, watched a lot too much TV and forgotten that most things in life are *not* an exciting 2-part telemovie
Good point Pat:>) I think people have been so stressed out with the economy being up and down the way it has for the last ten years that maybe the sky falling will be a relief...kind of like a huge fight that builds up with the hubby...when it finally happens it's huge, it needed to happen, but it changed things and took the stress off. Start overs are good, cleansing. Maybe that is why people are looking for the bottom to just fall out everyone can stop wrestling with it...and rebuild from a fresh start somehow
Lately it seems everything is just so corrupt, lies to cover lies...or whatever. I don't know what I'm wishing for because I am a real careful wisher...don't want to have any regrets when and if the sky does fall...you know the old "I can't believe I wished for this" while hauling buckets of water up the hill from the stream to wash hubby's clothes..."I didn't quite want it to be this simple:>)"