Not using the water faucet fully open................

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
It occured to me after more than a half century of using faucets, that it doesn't neccessarily have just two positions- off and wide open.
I have been trying to open the kitchen one, which is a single lever, only enough to do the job. No more having most of the stream shoot by and go directly down the drain.
Unfortunately I will not know if there is a significant savings as I do not have metered water but it must- it looks like I have been wasting twice as much water as was needed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh I use my faucet like that now.
when rinsing eggs for market I just let it trickle, if doing something small and don't want that splash, I lower it.

I don't pay either, but I know I am saving wear and tear on the well and helping water conservation.

cool.....just the little things can save so much!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
This reminds me of something that happened at my mom's a few months back. Remember, we do not have running water...

I was at my mom's visiting and it was coming up on the lunch hour. Kids were clambering that they were hungry. We decided to make poor mans tuna casserole (as we call it) with mac n cheese, peas, and of course, tuna.

I started to fill the pan from her faucet and realized I had more water than needed. I asked mom what she wanted me to do with the extra water. She said, "Oh just poor it down the drain."

I don't know what my expression was, but when she looked at me she was completely baffled and immediately apologized and said, "It sure must look like we waste a lot of what's a precious commodity to you!"

She took the pan from me and poured the extra water into her Brita Pitcher for drinking :lol:

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I've tried to be more conscious of that lately, too.

Now, instead of letting water run down the drain when I use the disposal, I plug the sink, fill it with enough water and some soap. I "wash" them enough to go to the dishwasher, unplug the sink and turn the disposal on.

We have a well, but you still have to pay for the electricity to pump it. Just think of all that water I let run down the drain. . . :he

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Awwwww, punkin! You don't compost your garbage??? :( Now I'm disappointed..... :th

:D :lol:

This whole water faucet thing is a pet peeve of mine when my boys do the dishes or wash their hands in the bathroom sink (a rarity that they wash at all, but at times it happens!) :p Not only are they wasting all my water (I don't have a shortage but the pump DOES kick on!) but it causes tremendous splashing up on my kitchen window! :rant

I keep thinking.....one day! One day you will be paying your OWN bills and you will suddenly be the one nagging about the faucet! Can't wait! :tongue

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am SO THERE! I've recently started taking lower pressure showers and will be very aware of how much water I'm using for other things. But get the guys to do it? In my dreams!

Cassandra

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya! I have had one of those water saver shower heads for a long time, but to my knowledge, I'm the only one who actually uses it! At first I was militant in my insistence about the usage of the shower head....slowly but surely I gave up. I felt I had practically won the battle just getting them to shower! :idunno

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a plastic basin in our sink, so any water that "goes down the sink," usually either gets reused as dish water and then throw on the plants, or given to the dogs from the collection basin in the sink. Our house pump is so crap that our pressure is fairly low, we have a dug well and then it's drilled at the bottom and in reality we need a submersible pump but the house came with an older external pump. Next year we're getting the submersible system installed, our well guy is really awesome lol. This submersible system that we have on our barn, which we will also get for the house, in the winter it has a setting where instead of sitting in the lines like a traditional system, it will flow back into the well so that it doesn't freeze.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Only problem is that once you finally master the technique of partial tap open you get married and make kids that won't learn the lesson until they are 28 :rolleyes:

We have a hard time keeping an eye on our girls so they don't use 14 squirts of soap on their hands (they REALLY love to play in the sink and will spend hours there if we let them).

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I've always taken "Navy" showers too- the kind where you turn off the water to scrub all over then turn the water back on to rinse. When the house was built, I insisted on a shut oiff valve on the shower head.
LOL When they house was built, the plumber installed a garbage disposal even though I had made it clear I DID NOT want one. I made them take it out.

Nifty- I didn't realize how wasteful I was as a kid either. But I wonder if the kids' allowance had to buy the soap whether they would see it too. Or dilute the soap in the dispenser.

Latest posts