NPR on grass-fed beef

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
this is one of the better NPR articles on farm/food-related issues i've read lately. they still side-stepped the issue on why people turned to corn (as we all know, it wasn't JUST because it fattens cattle faster) by not talking about GMO seeds and mono-cropping, but i guess we can't expect them to get everything right.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
They accept large sums of money for advertising from Monsatan so they are no longer delivering unbiased reporting....

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
yeah, that's been my beef (no pun intended) with them for a while. i was impressed that they at least recognized the nutritional benefits of grass-fed, even if they won't be completely forthright about the negatives (and the agricultural repercussions) of corn-fed.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember back in the late 60's or 70's the grocery stores (around here anyway) were starting to provide grain &/or corn fed beef ( I think before that it was mostly grass-fed) and they would label it as such. One section grass-fed, one section grain fed. I'm thinking at the time more people were buying the grain fed because of the "sweeter?" taste and prolly thinkin it was somehow better quality. This would have increased the demand for grain fed and in process, the grass fed was phased out.

Many years ago we drove to Yellowstone via I-90 and I wanted to see if the beef would taste any different so I ate steak everywhere we stopped for meals. As we got into Montana the meat did have more of the "tangy" taste of grass fed than what we ate at home.

just sayin

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Yes. A lot of people don't like the "gamey" taste of grass fed. I prefer it. Of course, I prefered venison over store bought beef any day, growing up. I have high quality taste buds LOL.

If only it wasn't so dang EXPENSIVE now.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
They accept large sums of money for advertising from Monsatan so they are no longer delivering unbiased reporting....
..and they were unbiased WHEN?!?!?Seriously, NPR's BEST reporting is when hardly anybody is listening. I'll catch a good story by them when I'm driving all night, or when I'm cleaning in the barn on an early Sunday morning. During prime time, they report verbatim from the AP.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
freemotion said:
..and they were unbiased WHEN?!?!?Seriously, NPR's BEST reporting is when hardly anybody is listening. I'll catch a good story by them when I'm driving all night, or when I'm cleaning in the barn on an early Sunday morning. During prime time, they report verbatim from the AP.
:D I typed too fast! I don't believe you can find unbiased reporting in the USA today. Anywhere that takes advertising dollars, at least. So even if NPR quotes directly from AP....well.....

Any time either I or someone I knew well was involved in something that made the news (many times, actually, over the years....) the report was NEVER correct and always had MAJOR inaccuracies. I believe very little of what is reported now, understanding that at best, it is based on a seed of actual fact, the rest is simply made up.

ETA: I should've said "they can no longer CLAIM to deliver unbiased reporting...." :rolleyes:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I just read the article and watched the video.

It was really too short to even come close to addressing the issue. I can't really say it was biased or unbiased because of its brevity.

I wanted to give NPR the benefit of the doubt but I can't give them anything at this time.

Latest posts