1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Nuclear myths and truths

Discussion in 'Other Power Generation - Wind, Hydro, Geothermal, ' started by elwood, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012
    elwood

elwood Almost Self-Reliant

Ok so I started talking nuclear power on a different thread and decided it needed its own. I work at a nuclear power plant and have been in the industry since I served in the U.S. Navy on a nuclear powered submarine. I am more than happy to answer questions, debate or whatever about nuclear power. There are currently 103 licensed power generating nuclear power plants in the United States. Two additional units are under construction in Georgia.

Ask away.

2. Sep 3, 2012
    jeffreydominic

jeffreydominic Sustainable Newbie

A nuclear reactor can explode like a nuclear bomb.
    Nuclear energy is bad for the environment.
    Nuclear energy is not safe.
    There is no solution for huge amounts of nuclear waste being generated.
    Most Americans don't support nuclear power.
    Nuclear waste cannot be safely transported.
    Nuclear energy can't reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

3. Sep 26, 2014
    elwood

a nuclear reactor can not explode as it does not have high explosives packed perfectly around it like a nuclear bomb.

nuclear energy releases no green house gases. only thing released is heat.

solution to the waste is to recycle the waste as they do in other countries.

nuclear waste has been safely transported since the 1960's with no incidents

nuclear cannot power a car safely so no it cannot reduce our use of foreign oil. But our own supply of oil will be waiting when they run out.

4. Sep 27, 2014
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Then why is the nuclear waste not recycled?

5. Sep 27, 2014
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

And what happens to a nuclear power plant in the event of an earthquake, or terrorist attack on one?

6. Sep 27, 2014
    elwood

sadly the government currently does not allow recycling... They passed a law against it back in the 70's I believe.

as for terrorist or earthquake I cannot tell you much as it is classified but trust me when is say that a 911 style attack would not have done anything but kill the people on the plane and a few at the plant from the fire.

Most people in the us are uneducated about nuclear power. US nuclear plants are built to prevent the accidents that we have all seen in other countries. Chernobly was a poor design and the japan problem does not exist for most us plants.

Chad

7. Sep 27, 2014
    TwoCrows

TwoCrows Lovin' The Homestead

I do not know a thing about nuclear power plants. But I do know that people do fear what they don't know. The news loves to hype up many things just for the sake of news. Not that nuclear power should be taken lightly, but it would do us all good to research things before we come to any conclusions. :)

sumi likes this.
  8. Sep 27, 2014
    elwood

interestingly enough Mitsubishi has designed a reactor that is for neighborhoods! it is fully self contained and gets buried in the ground. I don't think the US government will ever allow them but interesting idea.

9. May 7, 2016
    CJ1

CJ1 Almost Self-Reliant

What are your thoughts on the previously proposed supergrid idea back in the late 90s?

Basic premise was to keep from suffering power loss through heat from resistance in the grid lines they would insulate with hydrogen. The hydrogen would be produced via electrolysis at the plant from the energy saved from the cooling of the grid. And could then be used to power your vehicles.

I may be missing some of the finer points. I read the article a long time ago.

10. Oct 30, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

My thoughts...

Nuclear material is some of the, if not the most toxic stuff on the planet. It's ablity for l o n g (very long) environmental impact is second to none. If it were safe we all would have a mini nuclear generator in our back yards to produce electricty and heat.

Are my thoughts correct?