Nutrition Facts

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I will be selling at Farmer's Market this summer, and I am starting some write-ups for some of the more unusual produce. I found this amazing website that actually has data for things like New Zealand spinach and watercress.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

Put your food in the search, or go by category. They even list estimated glycemic load (perfect for diabetics), and inflammation factor (I need to learn more about this), protein balance and an amazing breakdown of vitamins, minerals, fats etc.

There is a listing of many of the chain restaurants and the foods they serve I am blown away at the quantity of foods listed on this site.

:old Please, if you eat out,
and especially if you feed your kids at one of these places, go look at what it is that you are putting into your bodies. :duc

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Added to my bookmarks. Now I just have to remember it is there.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I added it to my favs , too. I will be writing an article on the importance of breakfast and I think I will refer to it. Thanks! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
one thing about farmer markets....don't go too far from what your customers are currently eating. alot of them will not take the leap and try new and you will be stuck with alot of produce.

one thing I did was ask customers....all the while I was growing different but normal varities of the normal type produce. They tell you what they want and you supply it....worked best for me that way.

just some info to help ya

Like I grow Eight Ball zucchini.....they are round just like a softball. I have my customers cut the center, stuff with favorite stuffing and bake....and then they eat the bowl too! :) They loved it and I sell tons of them.

And I got this variety cause a customer said that zucchini was just so boring, nothing different in it, grill it, bake it, cube it etc.....well I went thru my seed catalogs looking for unusual zucchini....hit the Eight Ball and sold tons ever since.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Karen,
I ordered 8 Ball seed already, I do think it will be a hit. We have a couple of gourmet restaurants in town. The market manager told me the owners are there every time looking for fresh unusual produce, so I think I won't get stuck with things not selling, plus I won't have large quantities. I'll get back over to post to our ideas for market topic soon, I have been experimenting.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One of my favorite farmer's market vendor puts nutrition info as well as recipes on flyers around his stall. Since I can't seem to grow peppers, I always stop by his stand to stock up. Going to do a story on him this Spring.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gourmet restaurants is a plus but I shied away from supplying restaurants.

my farm friend was supplying pork to a few restaurants and they needed certain cuts, certain amounts and on time.....well they could do it for a bit but the farm becomes alot and yup, they pissed off the restaurants cause they couldn't fill orders properly. And the rest. always based menus etc. around that meat so it put them in a pinch.

it is a great thing if you can say---we have this---and this amt. and if they can use it you hit a great market!!!! just be careful on not biting off too much.

See with my market, customer comes up says, I want that, I got it, done deal. My leftovers are given to people I know and Tony stops at some rest. along the way home and sells the load as is with a bulk price and then it is gone.

just some info that might help ya