Officially a farm - we have chickens.

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have chickens now but we have no coop. To meet a May 1st deadline for 4H we ran out and purchased 3 chickens for our daughter - 1 Blue Americana, 1 Red Dorking, and 1 New Hampshire. All of them are about 9 weeks old.

I guess that makes us an official farm. After all, you can't have a farm without a farm animal right? Well anyway, right now they reside in a dog crate. Hopefully, I'll be able to slap a coop together this weekend.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awesome!

I have some wheaten ameraucanas living in a dog house right now because the rooster wasn't doing his job with them, so now they are his only option.

My silkies live in a similar dog house. I just used some plywood and closed up the opening down to silkie size for winter.

Both these dog houses are in 10x10 dog kennels. The silkies have mesh around the bottom couple feet to keep chicks inside.

Chickens don't really care what they live in. Some of the hoop coops people have made are really nice. I've thought about making a few up, but with our wind issue, I'd have to really tie that thing to the ground.

Latest posts