Ok, can chickens eat whole wheat???

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, that does it. You simply MUST have pigs!

It may be somewhat fermented, which will protect it from mold and spoilage for a few days, most likely. But you will need to freeze it or dry it for longer term storage. I am just guessing here. Use your nose, and dip deep into the center of the barrel and check for heat and spoilage. I bet it is fine. Let us know!

ETA: I would feed it with other grains, as some of the nutrient value will be gone. However, some of the nutrient value may also be enhanced by the fermenting that is done....ask how it is processed from whole grain to what you see in the ad. Is it sprouted, fermented, what is added?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We got some from friends who used to have a microbrewery and fed it to our hens in small amounts. We did have to throw away some when we started to worry that it was spoiled. They did like it!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to subscribe to my own thread. :D

I am not sure if the guy is giving it away or charging for it. I just thought if it was free it would supplement the feed/ free ranging the hens already do.

All I could think about was whoever that poster was who Thrashed their own wheat on the driveway. I figured I could just spread it all out and let it bake for a couple hours in the sun. Then sweep it all up and store it.

So pigs would like it too huh???

Maybe I could strike up a relationship with the guy and trade eggs for spent grain and such.

Hummmmm????

Ok I will call the guy.

gina

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You my dear have a one track mind!! I love it!! I was thinking almost the same thing. ;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok new question. A woman I know asked me today if I wanted 50lb of wheat for my hens. I said sure if anything I could sprout it. She says it's to old to sprout just give it to them whole.

1st Shes Mormon so I think she knows about wheat.
2nd Can chickens eat wheat that is whole?
3rd Does it need to be cracked?

Looks like its my lucky day!!

gina

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I'm sure it will be fine, heck mine eat sunflower seeds whole! (and they don't come back out that way)