Ok, can you freeze peppers?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I picked 15 peppers a while ago, I didn't use them, all went bad. I have A few that are ready to pick. Can I freeze or can them?
How hard is canning?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What kind of peppers (green bell peppers, red bell peppers, chile peppers, what?) and what sort of thing do you expect to use them for later.

If it's hot peppers or non-green bell peppers, personally I would pickle them. Alternatively, red peppers can be roasted and frozen (you don't even need to remove the skins before freezing). Green peppers I'd personally just chop and freeze, or I'd chop and saute with onions and freeze that way, for use as an ingredient when cooking.

But if you have other peppers or other intended uses there may be other good options.

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
They are hot peppers
Cherry Hot
Jalepeno
Hungarian Wax
Chili peppers
Habenero

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ooo, I am jealous :)

Personally I would pickle them, I love pickled hot peppers in practically everything. You want a small-batch recipe I can dig one up for you. It is REAL EASY to do small batches, the only thing you might want that you might not have (other than, obviously, you need canning jars and matching lids) is a canning funnel - but you can manage without it, esp. for a single small batch - and some sort of tongs for lifting the jars outta the boiling water bath. Honest, it is not difficult at all.

Alternatively if you are not a pickled-peppers type, cut them up in small pieces and freeze in a flat thin layer in ziploc baggies with all the air sucked out. Then you can break off whatever size piece you need for cooking with at future times.

Have fun,

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Get me the pickled recipe please! :D
I use them primarily for hot sauce I think I coan whip out 20 batches out of this years peppers.

summerwindsfarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Peppers freeze great! You can just take the insides out and freeze them like that. Or blanch and freeze them. I freeze them without blanching cause i like them crisper.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
From The Complete Book Of Small Batch Preserving, Topp and Howard. I added more instructions, to cover the basic canning process for Ticks, which is the only reason it seems so long :)

Pickled Hot Peppers

1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
4 tsp liquid honey
2 tsp pickling spice (actually I omit it)
1/2 tsp pickling salt (or you can use kosher - however, regular iodized
salt is not so good b/c it will cause cloudiness etc)
2 cloves garlic, halved
1/2 lb hot peppers, seeded and sliced (original recipe calls for
jalapenos, but I've done it with a mix of them and
hot banana peppers and it was fine, so others
should work ok too)

1. Put 2 half-pint (1 c) canning jars, or 4 half-cup jars, on a metal rack set at the bottom of an appropriate sized big pot or kettle. (No lids on them right now). Fill with enough hot water to cover jars by 2". Cover and bring to a boil - this sterilizes the jars.

2. Combine vinegar, water, honey, pickling spice and salt in small saucepan. Bring to boil over hi heat, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

3. Remove hot jars from canner using tongs (I pour the water in them back into canner). Place 1/2 clove garlic in each jar. Divide peppers among jars and put 'em in there, followed by the remaining 1/2 clove garlic per jar (if you're doing half-cup mini jars, just use a single half-clove per jar).

4. Read the instructions on your box o canning-jar lids, and follow them w/r/t how to heat-soften them before applying to jars. The kind I use, I soak in initially-boiling water for 5 minutes before applying to jars.

5. Return pickling liquid to a boil. Pour over peppers (here's where a canning funnel helps cut down mess - otherwise, use a ladle) to within 1/2" of the rim for headspace.

6. Carefully wipe the top rim of each jar w/ a wet paper towel to remove any schmutzes. Use tongs to fish the jar lids out of the hot water. Put lids on jars. Apply screwbands, ONLY FINGER-SNUG (do not tighten down hard!).

7. Using tongs, put the jars into the still-nearly-boiling-hot water bath kettle they were sterilized in before. Adjust if needed so that 1-2" of water covers their tops. Bubbles will come out of the lids. That's ok.

8. Cover, and crank the heat up til the water comes back to a real boil. Then start a timer for 10 minutes. When time is up, use tongs to remove jars from the waterbath. Set somewhere heatproof where they can remain undisturbed for 24 hrs. After that you can remove the screwbands and if desired wipe the jars down to remove any hard-water deposits. It is best to store them w/o screwbands, unless they;ll be somewhere they could get bumped around a lot in which case store them with BARELY snug screwbands.

I know this sounds like a lot but it is actually extremely simple, it just takes a lotta words to write out the canning procedure. Go ahead, try it, you'll like it :)

(e.t.a - or of course if you prefer, just freeze them and do whatever you like to them some other time)

Pat

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
From The Complete Book Of Small Batch Preserving, Topp and Howard. I added more instructions, to cover the basic canning process for Ticks, which is the only reason it seems so long :)

Pickled Hot Peppers

1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
4 tsp liquid honey
2 tsp pickling spice (actually I omit it)
1/2 tsp pickling salt (or you can use kosher - however, regular iodized
salt is not so good b/c it will cause cloudiness etc)
2 cloves garlic, halved
1/2 lb hot peppers, seeded and sliced (original recipe calls for
jalapenos, but I've done it with a mix of them and
hot banana peppers and it was fine, so others
should work ok too)

1. Put 2 half-pint (1 c) canning jars, or 4 half-cup jars, on a metal rack set at the bottom of an appropriate sized big pot or kettle. (No lids on them right now). Fill with enough hot water to cover jars by 2". Cover and bring to a boil - this sterilizes the jars.

2. Combine vinegar, water, honey, pickling spice and salt in small saucepan. Bring to boil over hi heat, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.

3. Remove hot jars from canner using tongs (I pour the water in them back into canner). Place 1/2 clove garlic in each jar. Divide peppers among jars and put 'em in there, followed by the remaining 1/2 clove garlic per jar (if you're doing half-cup mini jars, just use a single half-clove per jar).

4. Read the instructions on your box o canning-jar lids, and follow them w/r/t how to heat-soften them before applying to jars. The kind I use, I soak in initially-boiling water for 5 minutes before applying to jars.

5. Return pickling liquid to a boil. Pour over peppers (here's where a canning funnel helps cut down mess - otherwise, use a ladle) to within 1/2" of the rim for headspace.

6. Carefully wipe the top rim of each jar w/ a wet paper towel to remove any schmutzes. Use tongs to fish the jar lids out of the hot water. Put lids on jars. Apply screwbands, ONLY FINGER-SNUG (do not tighten down hard!).

7. Using tongs, put the jars into the still-nearly-boiling-hot water bath kettle they were sterilized in before. Adjust if needed so that 1-2" of water covers their tops. Bubbles will come out of the lids. That's ok.

8. Cover, and crank the heat up til the water comes back to a real boil. Then start a timer for 10 minutes. When time is up, use tongs to remove jars from the waterbath. Set somewhere heatproof where they can remain undisturbed for 24 hrs. After that you can remove the screwbands and if desired wipe the jars down to remove any hard-water deposits. It is best to store them w/o screwbands, unless they;ll be somewhere they could get bumped around a lot in which case store them with BARELY snug screwbands.

I know this sounds like a lot but it is actually extremely simple, it just takes a lotta words to write out the canning procedure. Go ahead, try it, you'll like it :)

(e.t.a - or of course if you prefer, just freeze them and do whatever you like to them some other time)

Pat
Thank YOU!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So what if Peter Piper picked them? Then where's the peck that he picked? :p

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
A note of CAUTION! You probably already know this, but I had to learn it the very, very hard way when first canning habanero, jalapeno and cayenne last summer. WEAR GLOVES! I canned about 7 pints of the stuff with no gloves and started getting chills. Then, the burning kicked in. It was a completely sleepless night :eek: Please protect your skin!

Latest posts