Ok, not really self sufficient, but I am getting ducks!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ok rather, hubby and I agreed to order more ducks :)

We recently added 2 female rouens and 1 female khaki Campbell to our farm. And a pair of runner ducks. I told my hubby I felt bad for the girls, having no boyfriends ya know..lol and I mentioned how I absolutely would love to have blue swedish...

Then I threw in how I found a member on BYC close to us willing to go in on an order with me and EUREKA! He said OK!!

So arriving sometime next week will be 2 khaki Campbells, 2 Rouens, and 3 Blue Swedish! There are 3 other Khakis on the order, but they are for the other person.

I did sacrifice a few mixed breed chickens today to help cover the cost of the duck order. My mom bought them from me LOL so I still get to visit them at her house. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I love the runner ducks...so cute! Good for you!!!

I don't know, Quail, I'm such a crusty old bachelorette, that when I hear the phrase "my husband let me" it makes my spine shrivel! :lol: I think I've been alone and independent too long to contemplate asking a husband for anything! My mother had to ask my dad for the right to even breath, so I guess I've developed a real strong aversion to this phrase!! :p :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ducks are SS! I hear that their eggs are excellent for baking :)
I adore ducks!! Grew up having a few mallards here and there...none now, but I would go for a few Khakis if I could!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Beekissed said:

I don't know, Quail, I'm such a crusty old bachelorette, that when I hear the phrase "my husband let me" it makes my spine shrivel! :lol: I think I've been alone and independent too long to contemplate asking a husband for anything! My mother had to ask my dad for the right to even breath, so I guess I've developed a real strong aversion to this phrase!! :p :lol:
Oh, LOL I should reword that. My husband and I neither one spend alot of money ordering anything without consulting eachother. It wasn't really him letting me, but more, the two of us coming to an agreement on getting them.

I just re-read my first post, and I did word it badly. It sounds like I got his permission, but really, we made the decision together. :) He even asked me to add the 2 Rouen males for him :)

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont know about ducks..wouldnt they fly away with other ducks? That is what I told hubby when he asked if we could get them. I said they would just fly away with the other ducks in the area. So, do they? would I have to worry about them leaving home? Do the eggs taste the same as chickens?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Roosmom, when I was a kids we had ducks, I do not ever remember them flying off.
They are great pets, they eat bugs but not plants :) When you get them at 1 day old or so they imprint on you and will follow you around as if you are the momma. They are hysterical waddling around...very entertaining. I have read that Khaki Campbells are better in small spaces and more quiet than your average duck.

I have read that the eggs taste similar but are a bit larger and richer so duck owners tend to use the eggs for baking. We never ate the eggs so I cna't tell you from personal experience.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:

Its funny that you say this because when I saw that post it was my first reaction too! (I know she reworded it now)
My husband doesn't give me permission for anything... because I have never asked for it.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
OH! By the way, congrats on the ducks.
I had thought about getting some myself, but now I think I want a goat. Don't want to do to much at once.
Make sure you post pictures of them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Our ducks never flew off but could fly for short distances. One could always clip a wing if this was an issue. The runner ducks are the funniest things in the world to watch when they run! Sweet looking too, not like some ducks.

Sorry, Quail....just had to tease you about that, sometimes it just spills out of me....sort of like sewage, one could say! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
roosmom said:
I dont know about ducks..wouldnt they fly away with other ducks? That is what I told hubby when he asked if we could get them. I said they would just fly away with the other ducks in the area. So, do they? would I have to worry about them leaving home? Do the eggs taste the same as chickens?
My ducks don't fly away. Flying Mallards would, but I ordered domestic duck breeds. The reason we decided on the ducks was because local people have kept asking us for duck eggs to use in the baked goods. Everyone keeps telling us they make great custards. We have never eaten duck eggs, yet.

I am so going to edit the title of this because obviously the wording of it is just terrible! :gig

May I just say I have a wonderful husband who for the most part spoils me rotten and gives me whatever I want. Just now he made me a nice cup of coffee because I have had a stressful day and he was trying to cheer me up :D