Ok So whats the deal with canning apples???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The other day I read a thread where someone mentioned they had made apple pie filling to can for the first time. When she took it out of the water bath the sauce/pie goo squished out the ring and down the side of the jar. Those who replied assured her that it was no biggy. jars must have been to full etc... As long as their sealed you should be good to go.

Well yesterday I caned pie filling as well. For the first time I admit. Mine did the same thing When I lifted the jars out of the water bath they immediately started oozing from under the ring. I set them back in the water bath and waited for them to cool a bit. When I took them out later they gooed a bit but not as much.

So I gave up on pie filling. Today I figured I would just can apples in a med. syrup. A good way to preserve them with out all the hassle.

Wrong.

Again, when I took them from the water bath they immediately started oozing juice down the side of the jar. I figured oh well. Left the room. I just went back to check and 2 out of my 5 jars are almost empty of syrup..

What is the deal with apples. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with out gassing or fermenting...

Maybe they should stay in the water bath until cool, this way they are under pressure??

Any ideas?

g

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:idunno No idea here either. I only ever can apples as applesauce.

When I did pears recently, the last jar wasn't quite full enough so I threw in two quartered apples to fill it up and it turned out just fine, no leaks (no goo either though, I just can my fruit in syrup).

But it wasn't a full jar of apples either.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well I can lots of peaches an pears and they never over flow. Update, the two jars that leaked didn't seal.

Whatever, looks like cobler tonight.
:D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We can them with a light syrup but we usually have one or two with syrup on em........... :hu

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did a Google search on this problem and found some advice... leave the jars in the canner for at least 5 minutes after processing and with the heat off. Also...

"It is very common for these pie fillings to expand and exude under the seal, even if the mixture is boiling when jarred. This is routine for thick mixtures. It won't do any harm to expand the headspace SLIGHTLY to 1 1/4", but the best way to prevent the problem is to thin the mixture and not use as much ClearJel as the recipe calls for. I think you'll discover it's pretty viscous at the recommended levels."

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very cool thank you. Now that would explain the pie filling but not the apples in syrup.

Interesting.

G

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wonder if the apples were just packed too tightly? I've had jars of green beans leak when I packed them too full.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've done quite a bit of apple pie filling, without a single issue. I always use a modified recipe from my old Kerr book, that uses tapioca. Not sure if that is what makes the difference or not? If you decide you want to give it a shot, this is the recipe:

18 (6#) lrg cooking apples
1 1/2 - 2 C sugar
1/3 C quick cooking tapioca
3 T lemon juice
1 1/2 - 2 t cinnamon
Ascorbic acid or bottled lemon juice

Prepare 2 qt of ascorbic acid solution (or 2 T lemon juice). Peel, core & slice apples into solution, then drain.
In 6 - 8 qt pan, combine apples and remaining ingredients. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook over medium heat 10 minutes, or until mixture thickens and apple edges are tender, stirring frequently.
Immediately fill sterile jars, leaving 1 inch head space for wide mouth jars, and release air bubbles. Wipe tops, place sterile lids, tighten down rings. Water bath 20 minutes.
Makes 4 qts

(This recipe is for the freezer, that my MIL modified for me for canning. Works great)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If I have the tapioca I will give it a go tomorrow. I still have plenty of apples. At this point I'll try anything.

Thanks,

G

Latest posts