Old clorox type jugs make great funnels and scoops

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I was thinking about some plastic jars that were left over from the bulk buy of nuts I got and if I could make something more useful that extra storage from them. No luck so far but it got me to thinking about my use for some empty clorox jugs.
I cut the bottoms off at an angle and, leaving the caps on them, use them for scooping animal feed. You can mark them with a permanent marker for weight or volume levels.
The handle is the handle of the scoop. The angle of the cut determines how strong or flexible the scoop is. Handy for lots of jobs.
They also make nice extra-large funnels.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Nice Job! just make sure to wash them out really well before using them for animal feed.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used some syrup jugs (very thick 'n heavey plastic) to turn into scoops. It was from syrup concentrate stuff to make slushes/drinks. I got them from my old work. I used to take all the garbage from there to recycle into new things! I LOVED the ice cream tubs. I used those for projects for children's church all the time. I used them for home too.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Are those bulk nuts jars pretty large,like the bulk pretzel jugs from Sams'? My mom saves those and uses them to store flour, rice, etc. I do this also, but I have also used them to make a continuous feeder for my chicks and bigger hens. They are clear, so you can see the level of feed. I just screw a flower pot tray onto the bottom, cut a few round holes at the bottom of the 1 gal. jar, put a wire through the jar right under the lid and hang it in the henhouse. I got the idea from someone on BYC. Also use cut off gallon milk jug for a scoop/funnel for my PVC feeder.

Thinking about using my bleach jugs as killing cones, as I buy the 2 gal. size. They seem just the right size and I can tack them onto the side of my building at just the right height. Paint them red to match the building and to disguise their purpose!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I read in a magazine that 1/2 gal. or 1 gal. milk jugs are good for storing and pulling twine through.

Cut a flap in the side of the jug large enough to put the ball of twine in. Take the lid and poke a hole in it. Do this from the inside so the twine feeds through easier. Feed the end of the twine through the hole and screw the lid on. Pull your twine out as needed. The jug handle also makes it easier to carry. If you leave it in the rain, don't worry. It's safe and dry inside the jug.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey punkin...I wish that would work when we string high tensil fence wire..HA HA

good idea!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Some great ideas here. We use juice or vinegar jugs for anything that has to do with food.
I made a funnel for filling my canning jars using the top of a plastig juice jug. The handle really helps too. I know I have a metal store bought one somewhere.... so I'll be d...d if I go out and buy another one.
If we need to funnel anything toxic or just questionable, we always use old jugs for the funnel and then throw it out.

Latest posts