old work boots as planters

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
don't throw out those old workboots - use them as planters for
cactus like hens n' chicks on your porch steps or in your garden.

put a small layer of rocks in the bottom, use reg. planting soil and plant your flower or item of choice. water sparingly for a few weeks as the boot will hold moisture unless you cut a few drain/air holes in 'em.
i have teenage farm boys that go thru boots every year from hard use. As they have grown, i've taken their boots, cut out part of the toe for added drainage and planted my cactus or other hardy plants in the boot itself then plopped it outside.

i round them all up before winter and put a bed of hay on top of them and cover with a tarp, then in the earlt spring i take them all back out and put them around in the yard or gardens.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good info
I used boots once and left them out in the garden and used plants that required alot of water...LOL...boots broke down but I enjoyed the look alot while it lasted..LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Who has old boots? We use ours until they couldn't even hold soil, let alone a plant!!! :lol: :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ain't that the truth

Tony has 10 pairs of boots, one for each chore kinda. Am I allowed to touch them....heck NO....they fit his feet perfect and will use them til they are falling off his feet literally......he always get a pair for Christmas and January birthday combined from his Ma.

You know women get laughed at for the shopping ways....well take Tony boot shopping, oh my, it is an art!!!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My son's boot heels kept falling off of his Wellingtons, so he tried everything...glue, duct tape, more glue, weld/bond...then he just placed some screws and broke off the ends and put the insoles back down in them! Crazy kid! My mother got him some just like them this year...but do ya think he will let go of his old ones? Nope....he says they have a "history"! Maybe a Tony in the making, huh? :p :rolleyes: :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
definitely a Tony in the making!

his old boots, just a disaster, he buys a new pair, I say, Just let me throw those old ones out---too many tripping me up..........OH NO...save them, never throw them! Ever......sounds like your son.....LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I do like the looks of the boot planters, though, and could probably sell plenty from my roadside stand come summer! The tourists would love these....I'm sure most of the city folk don't have old work boots! :D

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Dear Husband has his boots resoled so he has a pair or two to rotate in and out so they dry out between wearings. I think I am going to have to check yard sales to have a boot or two.. maybe cowboy to plant up for the back steps. lol I love the idea.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We did that in Texas with dh's old size 15 cowboy boots and my size 6 garden boots. I had rosemary in one and lavender in the other in his. Mine were chamomile and chocolate mint.

Everyone thought they were a hoot out on the back patio.....

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just last week my mom and I were cleaning and I was going to throw out my old work boots and remembered reading this post. I cant wait till spring to try them out :D

Latest posts