on your to-do list

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hello! i was wondering what was on everyone's to-do lists. i'm trying to think of what i need to do in each season and break it down like that. so what are some things on your fall list? winter list? spring list? summer list?
kinda a broad question i know. hoping to get the most answers that-a-ways. :)
thanks!

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't really have a "to do-list".

But every winter i have to start with next seasons firewood...

And God i hope the firewood this year will last the entire winter!

It's not fun when it's the end of march and you have to go out and cutting down dead trees! :barnie

S

sunsaver

I can definitely relate to the agony of looking for dead, dry trees in the middle iof february. Running out of firewood really sucks! I think i have enough this year.
This is the time of year that i am mulching my fruit and nut trees and berry bushes. I gather leaves and straw and run it through my chipper/shredder. Last month i planted greens and herbs for the winter garden, gathered seeds, dried herbs, canned pears, and collected firewood. I don't need a to-do list, because i know what all needs to be done: stock the pantry, cut fire wood, insulate the solar water heater, save seeds, pot-up pepper plants and bring them in for the winter, etc.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It seems my to-do list has no end. We have only been here for 2 years. In the spring we will be putting in fruit trees and bushes. Getting the garden up and going again. We also need to work on fencing and housing for goats,cattle and pigs. Hubby is also working on getting auto watering system set up for our chickens,ducks and turkey's. Then their are all the odds and ends inside. We will be putting in a wood stove. There is more painting to do and decking to repair. Well you get the idea.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
I can definitely relate to the agony of looking for dead, dry trees in the middle iof february. Running out of firewood really sucks! I think i have enough this year.
Or else you can buy some of me! :rolleyes::lol:

And yes, it really sucks!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This time of year, fall, we are trying to get the animals, and shelters winterized. Get hay in for winter...put plastic over windows, stock up on grains and get the gardens all tilled under and put to bed for winter. We get our firewood in late summer. Yes, I know, its hot then, however, it gives the wood a better chance to dry up a bit. Last winter we went through 12 ricks....we have 15 on the ready and waiting to go. We are going this weekend to get another 2 loads of FREE cut and split, OAK...did I say FREE!??? Oh, and it is seasoned already. This was cut last year, split and stacked. This year the guy doesn't want to "mess with the fireplace" so he said we can have it all. :weee
Winter season, we slow down...well...hubby does..LOL I have bags and bags of wool I need to get cleaned, carded, and spun. Plus I want to start on some yard ornaments I am going to make and sell next year. I want to get a few hundred finished over the winter. Late winter, it is garden planning time...getting the seed trays set and ready for planting..spring brings with it the "busy season" garden planting, new life born on the farm, opening all the shelters to let the clean spring air in, and get them mucked out...then summer, harvesting, firewood, canning, drying...and the cycle continues. LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Right now, going into winter, our to-do list is:

sell the heifer (next week!)
tighten coops up for winter
clean up yard
tear down the unused/unwanted old animal pens and clean up the area for future new barn!
finish splitting and stacking firewood (almost done, and E's brother brought us a truckload of free firewood on Sunday!)

and finish the two rooms we added onto the house (insulation and drywall)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neiklot said:
I don't really have a "to do-list".

But every winter i have to start with next seasons firewood...

And God i hope the firewood this year will last the entire winter!

It's not fun when it's the end of march and you have to go out and cutting down dead trees! :barnie
Let's see, what was that quote again.... no matter how much wood you put up for winter, you'll always be a cord short come March...something like that. :lol:
We also got lucky with firewood! A guy we know has been by four times now with hot burning wood in his pickup truck. We still have to cut it in smaller pieces, but hey! I'm okay with that! You know my thought on that - cheap is good, but free is better! He said he thought he'd get one more load to drop off. Both justusnak and I are :weee