One Animal??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you could only have 1 animal on the farm---what would it be?

for me it is between having chickens and hogs.

chickens are eggs and meat

hogs are just plain darn delish!!!! I have 125 hogs on the farm for the business and as much as I hate them, and I do, I still absolutely am in love with pork. More than chicken!

Hmm.....I choose hogs. Screw the chicken.

So what is the ONE critter you would have if you could only have one?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
A duck. Yes, they can provide food . . . but the entertainment value is priceless. :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
A duck. Yes, they can provide food . . . but the entertainment value is priceless. :)
True, but the mess....oh my!

I think I would be torn between a chicken , for the obvious reasons, and a dog for protection. Not that mine knows what the word means or anything....

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Dace said:
DrakeMaiden said:
True, but the mess....oh my!
I prefer to look at it as "lots of compost for the garden." ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you can have both Dace

the dog is good critter protection---I meant the one "farm animal" that you would raise if needed for survival type thing.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
do you even have to ask!??!?

i'm all about the bacon baby.......

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ducks :D Love the eggs!

I also agree the entertainment value is unbelievable. Plus if I slip, fall down and hit my head and pass out in the duck pen, when I come to, I will still have all my fingers. Not so sure if that would happen in a hog pen...OR a chicken run! LOL

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Not so sure if that would happen in a hog pen..
hee hee hee thats what i tell people who insist that 'pigs are just like dogs'.....

i explain that if i fall down in the yard the dogs will eventually settle down around me. and then when my husband asks where the dogs "where's momma?' they will show him where i'm laying in a heap.... but if i fell into the hog pen they would eat me.

yikes!

but you cant make duck bacon!?!? or can you... hum...... we have one younger male with angel wing.. hummm... duck bacon..... we might just have to see about that.

but you dont use your ducks for meat, do you WifeZ? just eggs?

my duck mommas pitch a fit of i take up their eggs... which is why our duckling count is over 30 so far this year! yay ducklings!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, Wifezilla, sure . . . they wouldn't eat you . . . but you might smell pretty ripe by the time someone found you. :lol: