One-person construction tips/tricks

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
The old trusty come-along.
When my used rider mower was brought over the mowing deck was off. I put the mower under a tree with a big thick branch, connected my come-along with straps to the branch and to the rider. I hoisted it up, place concrete blocks under and attached the mowing deck. Released it back down and mowed. Same to sharpen blades.

I've used the come-along to haul logs up from my steep ravine, to yank a hung up tree from the branches of another, move a couple 2'x2' boulders and to tighten the wires in my vineyard.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I agree with the come-along- my best friend after my cordless drill. :lol:
Single handed stretching of fence, moving logs, moving trees with large root balls, etc etc etc.

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Use a drywall screw to hold the other end of a chalk line when snapping a line.

When installing wall cabinets, attach a piece of 1x6 to the wall at the level of the bottom of the cabinets. Then all you need to do is lift the cabinet up on the 1x6 and balance the cabinet until you attach it

The most important thing I found out while working by myself....if you don't ask for a hand on the weekend, you never need to return the favor :)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When building a barbed wire fence, my father taught me to stretch the top wire first. If you start with the bottom wire first, you have to constantly bring each wire over it in order to work toward the top wire. Doing the top wire then the next to the top and so forth keeps all the stretched wires out of your way as you work toward the bottom. Besides, it is best to tighten the top wire first because it puts the most strain on the end posts. If you tighten the bottom wire first and move up to the top wire, you might find that your other wires (especially the bottom wire) has lost some tension. That would be because the top wire pulled the end post toward each other just a little bit.

I hope I explained this so it is understandable. If you have never built a barbed wire fence, my information might be confusing to you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It makes perfect sense to me and I would never have thought of that. Very helpful info, Tall! :)

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I just did fifty sheets of drywall, to do the ceiling I was too cheap to rent a lift and ladders and T-boards just don't work very well, after breaking a few pieces I devised a very simple procedure: screw a 1"x3"x 4' to the ceiling overlapping the edge of the first piece of hung drywall which then gives you a slot, then slide the new piece into slot and lift to ceiling then use a couple of jam sticks to hold in place giving you both hands free to screw it up.

Want2BFarmer said:
The most important thing I found out while working by myself....if you don't ask for a hand on the weekend, you never need to return the favor :)
This is funny and has been my life's motto for the last year now. and why I moved two states away from my nearest friends or relatives.

Being an electrician with a hvac license who owned a computer and electronics repair shop I got bombarded by them relentlessly all with promises to pay or reciprocate. In 30 years I can count on one thumb the number of times that happened.

So everything I do now no matter how monumental will be figured out without the need of asking for help.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
xpc said:
I just did fifty sheets of drywall, to do the ceiling I was too cheap to rent a lift and ladders and T-boards just don't work very well, after breaking a few pieces I devised a very simple procedure: screw a 1"x3"x 4' to the ceiling overlapping the edge of the first piece of hung drywall which then gives you a slot, then slide the new piece into slot and lift to ceiling then use a couple of jam sticks to hold in place giving you both hands free to screw it up.
Now THAT is clever! :) <applause>

Pat

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have found pre-drilling will help eliminate the need for an extra hand, and of all things if its not to heavy I duct tape it in place.
With the heavy stuff, I use ladders, saw horses, chairs, other boards what ever is handy.
This is a great thread! I have also found that as somebody sees my project, even though I did it by myself, THEY need help.