Online guide to plants edible to animals

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I live in a forested area and have rabbits, goats, chickens and ducks. Everyone but the rabbits free range part of the time, but I still spend a significant amount on feed and I know this area would at least help sustain them, as wild rabbit, wild birds and deer abound.

Suggestions as to how I can learn to identify which plants are healthy to bring back for my livestock? We have observed which plants the goats prefer but don't know the names. The chickens seem to like only a few of the plants the goats like. We have rabbits now and I want to bring them appropriate types of wood to chew on and cannot identify all these plants I have here, Pacific Northwest rain forest.

I can identify perhaps 10-20 plants and trees hereabouts however, I've been trying to slowly learn what grows here, but it is hard to positively identify things from a picture in a book or website.

Anyone have a suggestion for me beyond nettles?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I would suggest a book, they tend to be more detailed and accurate than online "match the photo"-oriented guides.

You need a book specific to your area (book on wild plants in general, you will not find one on 'edible to livestock' plants in particular) and you need to play around with it through the year because many things are initially-identifiable only when they're in flower but then you can SEE what they look like before and after that or when they are just sprouting up or dead and dry, and you will then know what they are even though there is no book anywhere with *pics* of them in those situations.

Then when you have identified a plant you can research it online and get a sense of whether it is generally felt to be toxic, safe, or somewhere in between. Be aware that an awful plants are in the "somewhere in between" category, largely because their chemical content varies sometimes-GREATLY according to the strain of the plant and its growing conditions and age. So you will not get a lot of hard-and-fast take-it-to-the-bank type answers.

Personally I would err somewhat more on the side of caution with plants being cut and brought back to animals than I would for just exposing the animals to 'em in a grazing situation. Reason being, some things become more toxic when wilting, and also some things that are off-putting when alive can become more palatable when wilting or dead so it is a bit less reliable to expect animals to just avoid iffy things.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've found some websites BB, but they are always regarding a specific area or specific type of plants.

I think I mostly need a Weed guide. And then someplace that explains who can eat what.

For instance, my goats ADORE eating a plant here that we believe is mountain ash. The chickens eat just the berries from this plant, while the goats will consume everything but the wood.

I'd like to try that one on the bunnies and I even found Mountain Ash on the list of things bunnies can eat...........but is it REALLY mountain ash or just resemble it in my book here?

I do have several tree identifier books and such.....but I don't really trust my own judgement when it comes to providing healthy food for my animals. I don't want to make any awful mistakes as I need every animal I have for part of our plans and cannot afford to replace any that fall ill due to my inexperience.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well I know there are some toxic plants, but for the most part your animals wont eat them if they are bad. I know that isn't true in every case though.

Your first step will have to be identifying the area "natives". After that, see what your critters will eat.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Thanks Pat, you were voicing some of my concerns as I was responding to BB.

This has been of interest to me for awhile so I have been marking certain plants and watching them through the year.

I see which ones the goats like, but I have read that goats can eat things that other animals cannot and will not.

At this point I'd like to introduce more fresh foods from around here to the rabbits in particular. I was thinking perhaps grass and clover would be safe? At this time of year......also the aforementioned mountain ash, would it be an appropriate wood for them?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The clover will be a big hit. I am trying to get the clover to take over the lawn :D The ducks love to nibble it.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Well I know there are some toxic plants, but for the most part your animals wont eat them if they are bad. I know that isn't true in every case though.

Your first step will have to be identifying the area "natives". After that, see what your critters will eat.
I think I have identified about 10 or 20 plants WZ, but I'm not sure. How can I be more positive?

I am 100 percent sure we have a lot of alder which the goats adore but the chickens and ducks hate.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I do a lot of cutting, bundling, and hanging of leafy branches for the goats. Ask here or on byh about specific plants. I know many of the ones for the Northeastern US. I also know which ones are dangerous wilted. And which they can eat in small quantities but not in large amounts. So I always make a mixed "bouquet" for them, never one type of leaf.

For example, red maple is slightly toxic, but small amounts are fine. You can only tell by the reddish stem on the leaf, and we have a lot here. Cherry is rather poisonous as it wilts.

I don't feed it until I know it.

There are lots of weeds that are also yummy, like goldenrod, and easy to pick and bundle. Also wild grape leaves.

What ruminants eat and what poultry eat are very different.

gotta run outside now....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks SD!

I have been giving my rabbits apple branches and they seem to love them so far. They can have dandelions right?